Sign in to follow this  

Xr200r noise when travelling in first gear only!

New to this forum, but hoping someone could shed some light on what may be going on with my engine. The motor runs strong but only in first gear it's clicking, almost sounds like when you have a worn chain or sprocket. Chain and such is all new. Once shifted beyond first it's fine. Also if travelling in first as soon as the clutch is activated it coasts along fine, noise disappears, let the clutch out comes right back. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Clicking noise in only one gear indicates a chipped or broken gear tooth. 

First gear has the pinion as part of the main shaft.

Often the broken piece will become trapped by the oil pump intake screen so drain the oil, pull the screen, and look for debris.

Does the click seem to be at wheel speed...........every time the wheel makes a revolution?  I'd pull the chain guard and chain guide and take it for a ride and listen.  Have someone ride along side you and watch the chain and listen also.  Run it on a stand and listen..........drag the brake a bit and listen.  You say clicking goes away when clutch is pulled in in coasting in first.  Does it change going up hill under load..........then down hill under compression (clutch out, engaged)?

Old School Al

The bike has no chain guard, I had a buddy ride along side me and it seems to be louder under load, both uphill and going downhill. It has new chain and sprockets, and I checked around to see if the chain was hitting something, no such luck. If I use it and avoid first gear you wouldn't say anything was wrong. Smooth as can be in all other gears. Also you can see that the chain is affected by whatever is causing the noise, it kinda radiates through the chain.

Where you mentioned it sounded like a chain noise, best to carefully rule that out first as you are.  What about the chain guide?  You didn't comment on the speed of the click in relation to the rear wheel rotation.........?  Did you ever try running it on a stand and watching the chain and listening?  Have someone run it and drag the brake a bit to load it while you carefully check things out.  If it seems to be coming from the engine, next I'd warm the engine up and drop the oil quickly into a spotlessly clean pan and see if excess metallic particles are present.  If so, what do the particles look like and are they magnetic.

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

I recommend following OSA guidance because he wants you to eliminate the easy to check, easy to fix, causes  before deciding to pull the engine and split the cases to replace gear parts. 

Even though they may not not seem like the most likely cause of the problem it is prudent problem solving methodology to eliminate the easy to check possibles before doing the difficult and expensive.

Followed OSA instructions. Removed chain guide etc and ran bike while up on blocks. Noise is coming from the engine. Drained the oil after warmup and saw some very fine particles in the oil. Nothing with any size to it and nothing that was magnetic. Particles were light coloured almost copper coloured to look at them in the oil. Again not magnetic. Also the noise seems to be proportional to the speed at which the engine is turning while in first gear.

Also you can see that the chain is affected by whatever is causing the noise, it kinda radiates through the chain.

Did you still notice this affect on the chain when running on the stand as you posted earlier?  Maybe pull the counter sprocket cover and look things over and watch.....?

Probably what I'd lean towards doing next is pulling the right side cover and look around...........keeping a eye open for metallic particles.  Then pull the clutch, shifting through the gears while turning the rear wheel (while on the stand).  Where there is no load it may or may not reveal anything abnormal. 

If first gear tooth damage is causing your condition, the gears would be in bad enough shape to be starting to come somewhat out of mesh ................ which produces metal particles.  :thinking: (Thinking out loud...........) ;)

Old School Al

Also noticed that when it was on the stand and I went through gears it seemed to be slightly affected in second and third while the wheel was off the ground. Also the kick starter is slipping as we'll. starting to get pretty frustrated with it to be honest. I didn't get a chance to pull the right side cover and have a look around yet as OSA suggested but I plan on it as soon as I get the time. Thanks for your help so far!

Keep at it and you will find the cause. Unfortunately a slipping kicker also require splitting the cases to fix. I've prolonged case splitting by being careful to make sure the ratchet is engaged before applying full kick force.

Also noticed that when it was on the stand and I went through gears it seemed to be slightly affected in second and third while the wheel was off the ground. Also the kick starter is slipping as we'll. starting to get pretty frustrated with it to be honest. I didn't get a chance to pull the right side cover and have a look around yet as OSA suggested but I plan on it as soon as I get the time. Thanks for your help so far!

What year is this 200............or did you say already and I missed it?

When you mention K/S slipping, I wonder if by chance a tooth or teeth are missing off the K/S gears..........maybe causing some chain snatch and noise in lower gears......?  But where are the pieces of teeth hiding......?  :thinking: (thinking out loud again)

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

I know the bike is a 1991 but the engine was pretty worn out. I ended up picking up a full engine, which is the one we have been talking about. Not sure on the year I'll have to check it out. This one has lighting coil with it for headlight. Might be an xl engine. Guy told me it was 1998 I suspect it to be somewhere around 88 to 90 if I had to guess.

Only some of the XR200 twin shock engines did not have a lighting coil.

When buying a used bike you can't always be sure that a PO didn't swap in a different engine hence we use engine and carb numbers to verify engine and component model/year.

Post the engine serial numbers and we can help ID the engines.

on edit: The engine serial number is on the left side just aft of the oil drain.

Edited by Chuck.

I removed the right side cover and checked the clutch basket and discs for wear. All in good condition. I noticed that the kickstarter is slipping more all the time. Could this be related to the noise I hear while travelling in first gear? The engines serial number is MD0GE-5001530

I removed the right side cover and checked the clutch basket and discs for wear. All in good condition. I noticed that the kickstarter is slipping more all the time. Could this be related to the noise I hear while travelling in first gear? The engines serial number is MD0GE-5001530

Post #12 has the answer to your question about noise.

When you mention K/S slipping, I wonder if by chance a tooth or teeth are missing off the K/S gears..........maybe causing some chain snatch and noise in lower gears......?  But where are the pieces of teeth hiding......?  :thinking: (thinking out loud again)

Old School Al

Remote diagnosis is always difficult but as OSA says broken tooth/teeth from one gear can be picked up by other rotating parts and cause noise and/or further damage. It helps if you can find the hiding teeth.

One final thought on the kicker gears. Is the compression release working and properly adjusted?

Engine MD06E-50xxxxxx is 1983 XL200R, a five speed

The "MD06" is the Honda model code for the XL200R.

The model code for a 91 would be ME05 and also be the 4-7 digits in the frame VIN number. The tenth digit of the VIN is the model year code and for 1991 it is M.

Followed OSA instructions. Removed chain guide etc and ran bike while up on blocks. Noise is coming from the engine. Drained the oil after warmup and saw some very fine particles in the oil. Nothing with any size to it and nothing that was magnetic. Particles were light coloured almost copper coloured to look at them in the oil. Again not magnetic. Also the noise seems to be proportional to the speed at which the engine is turning while in first gear.

The kind of Particles you described could come from Timing chain guides. The two timing chain guides are made up of some brounn /cooper colored material (plastic). I have seen videos where people recomend to split the timing chain for easy replacement. To asemble they recomend to weld it. Modifications like this or other damage done to the chain could destroy timing chain tensioners. PJ

Only thing is there pj is it only happens in first gear. Isn't present at idle in neutral or in any other gear besides first. Start it off in second and you wouldn't know there was anything wrong until you go back to first gear. It also radiates through the chain which tells me it's in the transmission possibly?