Sign in to follow this  

01 top end re-build

Starting the tear down on my 01 and about to do my first 4 stroke re-build. Wish me luck......lol but anyway going to take the head somewhere to get the valves pressed in and what not. Does anyone know what a machine shop usually charges for that? Thank fellas

1399826031034.jpg

Ic ic......I'm gona have to shop around. Any advice on the re-build? Have a manual and I've re-built a few 2 strokes but never touched a 4 stroke. I've done my homework ......but just want to know if anybody has any helpful tips.....

I just finished mine a couple weeks ago. Get ahold of Jeff@aperaceparts.com and he can help you out with head work. I think I paid around $100 as well. I sent them my head and jug to get honed and all the valves and seats pressed in. What all are you planning on doing? I did the full top end with piston and everything finding all the parts off ebay. $325 for valves and springs, $140 for piston and rings, $20 for new cam chain, $150 for 2003 exhaust cam ( great mod). You will need a flywheel puller to swap the cam chain. Another cheap tool but a must have. Let me know how I can help as well since it is all very fresh in the memory, lol. Ronbuell is another great go to guy for knowledge.

Cool,I'm also doing the full top end. I bought the bike a few months ago and just wanted to freshen it up. Just from feeling from the way it ran and the previous owner, I know its never been opened or well maintained. Got the valves for $325, piston kit $160, timing chain $26 all off eBay. I plan on doing the cam mod but we will see how money looks like when the important stuff is done. Thanks for the input bud! The bike is half way tore down waiting on parts, but I will update soon

From what little I have ridden on mine (10minute break in) the 2 best mods I did during the tear down was the different cam and JDJet kit. Easy as heck to start and I feel it has a bit more snap to the throttle when getting on it due to the jet kit. I spent as much money on "wants" as the "needs" for my top end, lol. Still cheaper to fix it than to buy a new one. Definitely keep us posted.

Actually thinking I might as well get both stage one hot cams. Is there any special installation to put them in? Or do the just go in like the old factory ones? It just makes sense to get both new while I'm at it.....

Might want to dig deeper into that type of set up. I cant remember from what I was reading in here if it was like a stage 1 intake paired with a stage 2 exhaust or what the preferred route was for them. I just wanted to eliminate "the drill" for starting these early bikes. It is much easier now.

Yea that now that it think of it tha does sound easier......if you have someone to hold the cylinder

It will still take a few tries but at least that way you can keep the rings in the cylinder. Took about ten minutes with him helping. Was very frustrating when I did my raptor by myself.