Sign in to follow this  

rear brake weak

hi guys i finally got mi xr 250 project running today had a run up and down the drive way it feels to me like the rear brake is poor as i am new to these bikes i dont really know if its normal or not any thoughts please 

hi its a 2004 250R i was on tarmac and stamped on it but just slowed it down no lock up i dont know how long the bike has been stood before i got it three weeks ago 

Could need a brake bleed. Or the pads could be bad - not much meat left, contaminated with oil. Also could be an air leak in the hose. Leak is not likely, but just throwing out possibilities. Check the pads first, then fresh brake fluid/bleed would be second on my list.

Just asked the year to know if it was drum or disc. Drum brake would obviously be different advice from above.

thanks for that i will strip it now i know it should be better just hope its not as bad as my gas gas to bleed

on my 400, my rear brake was like yours.

Turned out the brake piston was almost seized.

I put in a new seal kit, and a new piston (mine was corroded)

Day and night difference. Now I have the BEST rear brake of any bike I have owned.

Easily locks up on sealed roads.

thats  the next job bled it today no sign of any air still same new seals on order