Sign in to follow this  

If you bought a used 250f what would you do

I'm wanting to get a 250f but I don't have the money to buy a new one. I was wanting to buy a used one and just do some preventative stuff so it doesn't bomb on me. What would you guys do?

I'm wanting to get a 250f What would you guys do?

I'd shoot myself for wanting such a underpowered machine!

Lmbo

No seriously,

Basically rebuild it from the beginning!

Anything shy of that, its a crap shoot.

You honestly, don't know how it was maintained.

Edited by ridngslikecrack
  • Like 1

Try and find one that's been adult owned and maintained. If I was looking for a trail bike Yamaha WR250 would be at the top of my list. Durable and reliable...nuf sed.

Get an ugly one that runs good. Then like Rhys said, piston and valve adjustment.

That's the best bang for the buck with a 250F.

• Like 1

Check fluids and ride it. Obviously, I am taking for granted that it has compression (felt through the kick start), starts easily, idles fine, and accepts throttle without sputtering. It doesnt have fluid leaks and suspension play.

Ride it. They dont last forever.

I was thinking about replacing some valves would you go with oem or titanium? What valves would be the best bang for the buck and last the longest

I don't wanna ride it if I could've prevented it blowing up buy putting new valves/new piston ect

Most 250f your going to buy is going to need a top end. If they tell u it's fresh ask for the receipts and check the dates.

I've been happy with the steel valve mod in my yz250f

who makes them ?

So I'm guessing new valves and a top end and go from there

Make sure there's actually engine oil in it before you ride it, I made the mistake not to and 4 hours later smashed valves and 2500 repair :banghead:

I'm wanting to get a 250f but I don't have the money to buy a new one. I was wanting to buy a used one and just do some preventative stuff so it doesn't bomb on me. What would you guys do?

Sorry, but I'll have to say, tear it all down and rebuild it from the ground up not going crazy on the motor. If you want to spend some worthwhile bucks, redoing the motor, at least it will give you a good feeling knowing it's tight when you ride it. I can't offer more on the motor as I only ride smokers, but believe me, in the long run if you plan on keeping the bike, rebuilding it from the frame up is the only way to go. That way you know what you have. :devil:

• Like 1

If it blows up, you will need to do that stuff in a rebuild, anyway. Get the life out of what is left, for now. Buying used is about not spending unecessary dollars, so this applies.

• Like 1

who makes them ?

So I'm guessing new valves and a top end and go from there

I have no idea, I pulled the head and dropped it off at a shop, the guy said he does the mod a lot, I think they may be wr valves but im not sure.

I would go with 2010 or newer yz250f if it runs good and looks well kept just ride it. Just start setting money to the side to rebuild when it does blow up.

I would not buy a bike that needs a bunch of motor work unless it's ridiculously cheap. So that being said if you get you a 250f I would fill it with gas keep the oil and air filter clean and enjoy riding it. Contrary to what has already been said a bunch not every used 250f is not on the verge of massive failure. Be smart about looking used and you can find bikes in good shape then just ride it and don't fix it if it isn't broke.

• Like 4