Sign in to follow this  

to the 4 stroke guy thinking about a Ktm 300 2 stroke

I have raced and 4 stroke(4t) motorcycles and 4 wheelers all my life. I owned a 05 KTM 400 exc and loved it. But it always felt heavy to me. I kept reading and watching videos of how great the 300 (2t) is and how it will lug down low and rides like a 4t. Commonly referred to as a 3 stroke. Well I traded my 400 for a 2001 KTM 300 exc a few days ago. I rode it for the first time yesterday in the pouring down rain. I will say to any die hard 4t person out there that is looking at the 300 buy one. There was nothing I did not like about the bike. I rode some steep single track hills and it pulled great. There were some rough rocky climbs with some slick alabama clay and it worked great there also. Ive turned the power valve to come in a little later in the rpm range and its fits my ridding style great. Just wanted to write a quick post because I'm sure I'm not the only 4t guy that has thought about making the switch to the 300 2t. I love it and don't think Ill ever look back . I feel less fatigued after the ride the bike was just easier to ride. just my 2 cents. Hope this helps someone.

• Like 1

I've had 250cc smokers for years. Finally bought a 300cc off road specific smoker. A lot more traction everywhere. Grunt too. Ability to chug along in third gear up slopes without frequent clutch fanning. My bike isn't a KTM but the 300cc motor is great for variable off road riding. 

Exactly what I did. Went from a wr450 to a Ktm 300 and I ain't ever lookin back. Phenomenal bike. It's crazy how much faster the bike made me, and I rode the wr like I stole it

+1, I was racing my wr450 and doing pretty well, moved to the ktm 300, it's a little scary at first but it's like a mountain bike with a supercharger, it's perfect everywhere. Ride a friends husaberg 350 the other day...Won't ever ride a 4 stroke again, overweight and no power.

Im really happy with my new 2 stroke too, a 13KTM250xcw. Came off a crf250x that I absolutey loved, it had great torque down low, handled great, amazing suspension and was bullet proof. The xcw does a great job at lugging down low but not as much low strong pull as my X. But the weird thing is I think I am able to get up nasty tricky sections better now. Only thing I can think is the less torque doesn't spin the wheel and lose traction like my torquey X and/or the PDS shock which is less progressive and softer gets better traction.?

Anyway I don't think my speed has increased but my confidence in tricky sections has gone way up. Very pleased with how a trail specific 2 stroke does in the woods!! I've had 2 storkes in the past but were motocrossers converted to a woods bike. It's just not the same. Considering making it a 300 when it's due for a rebuild but not sure I need it, this 250 really hasn't given me a reason to yet! Just keeps impressing.

I came off a yz426 that I liked pretty well sold it and bought a 200xcw. same thing I love the 200 it took me awhile to switch my riding style and get fully used to a 2 stroke again. Now I wouldn't trade it for anything it a super fun light ride that love technical stuff .

Just like anything, try everything possible before buying.

I didn't do that for my first bike and bought the wrong bike, I did for the next bike and have an awesome one for what I ride.

Even though I have a sweet bike I still take every opportunity to ride someone else's bike when offered. I am a 4t guy but I also have a 2t I'm tinkering with just to make sure I don't want to switch to 2t. If I can get the 2t behaving how I want I might switch my main bike to a 2t version. Do your homework, to each his own.

First, let me say, anything with two wheels and a motor has a high potential for fun. I raced the desert series in Utah for quite a few years, I kept a KTM 2t and a Husaberg 4t in my garage, racing the one that I fancied any given weekend. To this day I feel the same, 4t or 2t, I'd like one of each. I presently ride a 300XC, love it!. I would really like a new KTM 350XCF also. That being said, I will add that KTM and the other manufacturers have dropped the ball that Husaberg got rolling, as to making a 4t that is truly as light as a 2t. The Bergs in the 90's and early 2000's, without electric start, were very close. I have trouble really getting enthused about a 260lb trail bike. When KTM bought Husaberg, the Bergs were like a girl after getting married, the weight started to pile on. The real beauty of the KTM 300 is the combination of world beating power, and light weight.

First, let me say, anything with two wheels and a motor has a high potential for fun. I raced the desert series in Utah for quite a few years, I kept a KTM 2t and a Husaberg 4t in my garage, racing the one that I fancied any given weekend. To this day I feel the same, 4t or 2t, I'd like one of each. I presently ride a 300XC, love it!. I would really like a new KTM 350XCF also. That being said, I will add that KTM and the other manufacturers have dropped the ball that Husaberg got rolling, as to making a 4t that is truly as light as a 2t. The Bergs in the 90's and early 2000's, without electric start, were very close. I have trouble really getting enthused about a 260lb trail bike. When KTM bought Husaberg, the Bergs were like a girl after getting married, the weight started to pile on. The real beauty of the KTM 300 is the combination of world beating power, and light weight.

Check out Sherco, their manufacturer weights show the 4t as < weight than the 2t. I have a 2013 Sherco SE300i and love it.

http://sherco.com/product-features/product/enduro-300-ir.html

http://sherco.com/product-features/product/id-300-se-r.html

Terrible, thanks for the heads up on the Sherco line. Wow, it's great to see bike development taken seriously. I most liked the 290X, kind of along the lines of the KTM Freeride. Is it available in the US? I would really like to throw a leg over one of the 300 4t bikes. I take back some of what I said earlier.

Terrible, thanks for the heads up on the Sherco line. Wow, it's great to see bike development taken seriously. I most liked the 290X, kind of along the lines of the KTM Freeride. Is it available in the US? I would really like to throw a leg over one of the 300 4t bikes. I take back some of what I said earlier.

I believe it is though in limited quantities.

I demo'd the Sherco 2t and 4t and bought the 300 4t the next week. Wasn't even on my radar before the demo event here in Tennessee.

Check out Shercoforum.com Clay Stuckey is the US importer/distributor. Couldn't deal with a better guy.