Sign in to follow this  

Outer Clutch Basket Notching Options

Hi everyone,  I have a 2011 KTM 200 XC-W.  Recently I've noticed that the clutch lever feels hard to pull and also when the bike is in neutral and you pin it, sitting on it... it will creep forward.  In first with the clutch handle pulled in and give it gas the bike will roll away (with enough gas).  I don't know if its my imagination of not but I swear the last couple races the clutch lever has been getting stiffer as the day goes on.  I opened up the clutch today and all the plates are good (not warped) and the friction plates are all in spec @ 3mm. I have noticed some notching on the outer basket and black marking on the inner hub.  Would this cause the problem?  It as hard to measure but I used a feeler gauge and the notch appears to be .40-.5mm thick (at the worst parts).

Should I take it off and file it?   Replace with a new outer basket or an aftermarket basket (Hinson etc.).  Thoughts on the inner hub? 

IMG_4954.JPG

IMG_4955.JPG

IMG_4960.JPG

IMG_4961.JPG

IMG_4962.JPG

IMG_4963.JPG

IMG_4965.JPG

Pretty well notched.

You can use a file and file the notches, to smooth them out.

or just replace the clutch basket. Inner and outer.

those notches keep it from working smooth.

if you do file it, it will be a tad sloppy. But will get you by for a while.

Edited by ridngslikecrack

Pretty well notched.

You can use a file and file the notches, to smooth them out.

or just replace the clutch basket. Inner and outer.

those notches keep it from working smooth.

if you do file it, it will be a tad sloppy. But will get you by for a while.

Do you think the inner hub is that bad or just the outer?

They're both bad. Replace with Hinson or other high quality aftermarket components or modify your behavior that's causing this.

Edited by sandlvr69
  • Like 2

They're both bad. Replace with Hinson or other high quality aftermarket components or modify your behavior that's causing this.

What causes it?  It's a 2T... I ride the clutch a lot in the tight woods.

What causes it? It's a 2T... I ride the clutch a lot in the tight woods.

An excellent question. Do you shift with or without the clutch? How often do you change trans oil? Are you aggressive or feathery with engagement? Can you think of any other factors?

Mine was a little worse than your pictures and I just filed it down smooth with a file. It feels the same as it did before except there is no drag or bug lurch forward shifting into first. It also starts in gear now which is nice

An excellent question. Do you shift with or without the clutch? How often do you change trans oil? Are you aggressive or feathery with engagement? Can you think of any other factors?

Always upshift without clutching and clutch to downshift.   Trans oil changed every weekend (~3-4 hrs).   Aggressive and ride the clutch constantly due to tight woods we race in around here.   

Well, both.

That inner is about as bad as I've ever seen.

New hub and basket that baby will be like butter!

Smooth.

In no way how you ride, where you ride, or anything else has anything to do with it, nor is it avoidable

Interesting. How is it then that my 2006 CRF450R with over 250 hours has virtually no notching on the original basket? Or my 2005 CRF250R with about 100 is the same way. Or my 2003 CR125 with about 30? Or my other 3 bikes as well?

My friend bought a very low hour (20-40) 2006 CRF250R a few months ago and the basket was notched horribly, about like the OP's. I think it's quite obviously the rider causing the issue.

I'm tempted to blame it on poorly timed clutchless shifts.

Agreed replace them both, Worst looking basket i've seen in a while .

What' do y'all think?  Basically $600 to replace the outer basket, inner hub and pressure plate with Hinson.  Is there any reason why I can't get a Hinson Basket, replace the inner hub with OEM ($70) and the pressure plate looks in ok shape to reuse.  A heck of a lot cheaper....  Is there any issue with mixing?

Edited by cdn_bacon

What' do y'all think? Basically $600 to replace the outer basket, inner hub and pressure plate with Hinson. Is there any reason why I can't get a Hinson Basket, replace the inner hub with OEM ($70) and the pressure plate looks in ok shape to reuse. A heck of a lot cheaper.... Is there any issue with mixing?

I run proX inner Honda outer Honda pressure plate . Hinson disc/plates and springs . No problems . I would just replace it all with the needle bearings :)

Unfortunately Weisco doesn'take a basket for my bike so I was thinking a Hinson basket, ProX inner huh and reuse the pressure plate and springs. Stock springs are still on spec exActly and plate is in good condition with no wear.

I was going to get a Hinson inner hub but the prox is OEM spec and $40 vs $260. I can replace it many times over.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately Weisco doesn'take a basket for my bike so I was thinking a Hinson basket, ProX inner huh and reuse the pressure plate and springs. Stock springs are still on spec exActly and plate is in good condition with no wear.

I was going to get a Hinson inner hub but the prox is OEM spec and $40 vs $260. I can replace it many times over.

Thoughts?

You don't have to get most expensive.

Just get what it takes to get you rolling.

You will notice a difference.

Obviously it took what, 2-3 years to destroy the old ones right?

Should last a fair while.

I can't say the hinson would last any longer. Maybe, maybe not.

• Like 1

Well I ordered a Hinson outer basket and a ProX inner hub. I decided not to upgrade the hub and stay cheap because I'm probably good to upgrade to a rekluse later this summer which comes with a hub.

Btw... Is the nut that holds the clutch on a ccw nut? (Clockwise to remove?)