Sign in to follow this  

79 suzuki rm 400

Hello everyone, I have a rm 400 and when I pull the clutch in it will not release. I have to use pliers the get it back. Any ideals on what's wrong? Any help would be great.

Funny, my first fullsize bike was a '79 RM400! I remember it having good power, lousy suspension, and even lousier brakes, just like the cars of the early '70's! When was the last time the oil was changed? Did it just start doing this or has the bike been parked for a long time?  If the bike has been sitting FOREVER I have seen the clutch friction plates "glue" themselves to the steels. The most probable thing is that the clutch basket/ inner hub are just worn (notches/ grooves in the aluminum) causing the clutch plates to drag or even get stuck and not release. Drain the oil and pull the side cover and take a look, its only a few bolts and does not take long to check. Pull the kick start lever off and remove the right side cover, then pull the clutch lever (pushes pressure plate outwards) it should be pretty obvious where the clutch is hanging up at this point. If you have not identified the problem by this point, the next step would be remove the 6 bolts (there will be springs and washers behind each of these bolts) that hold the pressure plate down and remove the pressure plate. Remove the clutch plates one at a time and check for obvious scorch marks (steels turned purple?) or damaged friction plates, search online and try to find the stack height (or individual disc thickness) for the clutch and see how that compares to what you have... a burnt clutch should NOT be sticking like you describe, but it is a good time to inspect the friction/ steels while you have it open. Inspect basket for wear (grooves where clutch frictions touch the outer basket) and check inner hub for the same thing (where steel plates make contact) if there is light grooving, you can use a file to dress things up. Let us know how far you get.

Ok thanks I just got it a week ago. And the guy drain the oil out last summer and haven't rode it since then. Runs great other than that. My dad bought me a new one of these when I was 14. And at 135 lbs back then it was a beast for me to ride/race. But I loved it. Brings back a lot of memories. But thanks for the info. I'll take a look tomorrow.

Nice smoker! Makes me wish I still had my '79 Elsinore!

Sounds like your basket is grooved super bad or the clutch cable is frayed and sticking on the housing.

My first test would be a new cable. If that didn't solve it, I would tear into the clutch and clean it all up real well and inspect for excessive wear.