Sign in to follow this  

Vary impressed with the new 450rr

I have a 250rr I picked up last fall and sold my 13' FE501 Husaberg and replaced it with a 14' 450rr, I slid a kenda southwick 2 on the rear and put in one of the new light weight lithium polymer batteries ( .9 lbs. it feels empty). Felt firm and stiff at first and was easy to stall and reluctant to restart for the first 20 miles but then  , WOW what a cool bike, corners as good or better than the 2t, with out all the dancing out of the corners the 250 does when you drop the hammer.

Yes it feels heavy to put on the stand, but everything else seems to work a little better than the Berg did (with and Ohlins shock), power is better for my riding style than the 500, good grunt all the way to the top, cornering is hands down superior to anything Iv'e ever owned.

Never burped steam, like a couple other bikes in the group, I also swapped with a few guys on newer YZ450's and they might have a smidgen on top where you never ride in the woods, but the Beta has much better bottom to mid.

The only thing I could complain about was the pegs did seem to hit a few more things and I found my self lifting my feet up a little more but I'll take the cornering and stability over slightly lower pegs any day.

The muffler is quieter than the Berg also, and it still runs as hard as a YZ450 so it's staying, and now that shes loosened up it starts in gear .

I had wanted a 498 but drug my feet to long and they were all gone, I'm really glad I went 450, it's an extremely cool bike well worth a look if your considering a four stroke.             

• Like 7

Nice bike, yes the 450rr has almost as much as other 450's on top, but the low and mid range power of the Beta is killer, and if you want a little extra, buy a pipe....

+1 on the pipe. I had a Leo Vince on my 400RR which gave it more oomph off the bottom end and made it loads easier to ride at lower speeds

If buying again would you go 400 or 450? Thanks.

Howdy, I have a 400 and can run 14/50 everywhere, did you change your gearing yet, wondering what you think so far?

I live in Nanaimo but am over here all week and want to do some evening rides at McNutt or Vedder.

400 all the way. The power and torque was great for my weight (175lb). The general consensus of the Beta models is the 450 and 350 are racier whilst the 498 and 400 are smoother. I loved the smoothness of the 400.

Howdy, I have a 400 and can run 14/50 everywhere, did you change your gearing yet, wondering what you think so far?

I live in Nanaimo but am over here all week and want to do some evening rides at McNutt or Vedder.

No idea what your terrain is like, but 13/50 is how my bike came and it worked well for all the terrain I encountered

400 all the way. The power and torque was great for my weight (175lb). The general consensus of the Beta models is the 450 and 350 are racier whilst the 498 and 400 are smoother. I loved the smoothness of the 400.

No idea what your terrain is like, but 13/50 is how my bike came and it worked well for all the terrain I encountered

I have ridden very tech slow stuff to 110kph on the hwy, I found 13/50 too low with my bike but have always run my bikes as tall as my bikes will pull, found it better when conditions get slick because helps stop wheel spin. 14/50 works good all around.

Put a FMF Q4 on my bike and made a big difference

I've rode newer KTM 450xcw's and I'd say the Beta has a little better pull out of the corners, the throttle response is maybe a smidge better on the KTM but overall I don't miss EFI at all.

Other than for a weight savings I don't think the 450 really needs a muffler, I may try a moto muffler come ice race season.      

I had a 2012 450RR and it was an outstanding bike! I kit my butt every day for selling it.

It cornered sharply but never head shaked. The one thing I did to improve it for tight single track was a Rekluse auto clutch. No more stalling!

I've rode newer KTM 450xcw's and I'd say the Beta has a little better pull out of the corners, the throttle response is maybe a smidge better on the KTM but overall I don't miss EFI at all.

Other than for a weight savings I don't think the 450 really needs a muffler, I may try a moto muffler come ice race season.      

I'm a sr rider and still like the carb response, my friends efi bikes are too "light switch" for me in the woods. Thanks.

I had a 2012 450RR and it was an outstanding bike! I kit my butt every day for selling it.

It cornered sharply but never head shaked. The one thing I did to improve it for tight single track was a Rekluse auto clutch. No more stalling!

I have a 2014 450 rr and can not belive how I can lug the crap out of it without stalling . I ride in the N.J. pinebarrens and I'm sure it can't get any tighter then that .
  • Like 1