Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha 2000 pw 80 won't start

So we have had a 2000 pw 80 for about 5 years and it sat over winter with no stabilizer fluid and we were gonna fix it up for my brother and we bought a new plug in drained all the gas and put fresh gas in and put in a new cable in the ignition box but over the winter we noticed that it was leaking gas even with the gas off out the overflow so we took the carb apart and found no visual problems except for the fact that the air screw looked like it was in all the way but we are not sure. We tried starting it with all the new parts it wouldn't go we took the spark plug out and it was COMPLETLY flooded with gas. While the spark plug was out we tried kicking it over and a bunch of gas flew out. Any ideas why it won't go? We didn't clean the carb yet but that is the next thing we are gonna do, and it has compression and spark. Thanks in advance

Change the spark plug too and also the air filter. Clean the carb for sure. You need air, fuel, and spark for the engine to fire.

So we put a new air filter, cleaned the carb and put the new plug In and it still won't go, it has compression but we are gonna check it tommorow to see if it's in spec

Yeah, also I just thought of something. Check the reeds to make sure that they're not chipped and also check for air Leaks.

We checked the compression and it's at 60 and it's supposed to be at 80 appearntly, would that be enough for it not to run. And the last time it ran was last summer and it never started again since then, it floods the spark plug everytime we kick it and a lot of fuel leaks out the overflow

Okay, I think it should start, but I honestly don't know. By it floods the spark plug, gas isn't burning. Check spark and timing. When fuel consistently leaks out of the overflow, your needle and seat are gone bad and also, your floats may have gone bad too. You should purchase a carb rebuild kit. Make sure you do check if it has spark though

A couple of things.  Check to see if your fuel line is hooked to the correct port after you removed and reinstalled the carb.  i had a bike once that I bought from a guy who couldnt start it.  The fuel line was hooked to a vent port on the carb so the needle and seat were not controlling fuel flow.  If that is ok.  check your float level and condition of the needle and seat.  I have been known to take the bowl off and hook up fuel line to float to see where it shuts the fuel off...   Get that set.  Also check all your jets are not plugged. Typically the pilot jet likes to get plugged when sitting.    Check to make sure you are actually getting spark. 

Don't bother cleaning the pilot jets, just get new ones, it's really not worth the hassle

If it leaked while it sat you need to clean the petcock on the tank/ rebuild it

yeah, a petcock rebuild kit is cheep

Did you get er started yet?

I would've done it myself since rebuilds on that bike are easy as pie but it all depends on how much time and knowledge. Atleast your bike'll get fixed

Ya we don't have much experience with that kind of stuff but my dad really thinks it's the reeds but were not positive because it pumps out a ton of fuel also and the rings are pretty worn we think

Well there's no point in doing it if your not confident right? It could be the reeds but you were saying it had low compression so its due for a top end anyways. Also when you get it back, make sure your oil injection is working properly.

There is nothing wrong with paying someone to repair it for you.  I would pay close attention to what they are doing and pick up any hints along the way.  I have done this with many things in my house.  I call a plumber for something, I call him once.  The next time that same thing happens I am doing it myself. 

Haha I'm gonna try to pickup at the stuff he is just a side mechanic but he is an wiz at the carbs so my brother should be learning how awesome dirt biking is pretty soon.