Sign in to follow this  

KTM 450 2013/2014 faster bigger (200lbs/186cm) rider, rear spring and sag?

Im so freaking annoyed not being able to get a decent setup on the rear shock. Raced today on rainy slick hard packed track and i was really off on my team mates speed.

This includes both the Ohlins and the WP even though it is better on the WP. Is anyone here a faster B rider in the 200lbs range, if so what rear spring are you running and what SAG numbers?

With 62N/mm i need to set it to minium 103mm race and 25mm static and that is with 13mm preload to turn properly and get it to stick in looser corners. I would like to get to 101-102 to ride as aggressive as i want.

Going to talk to Ohlins tomorrow but they recommend softer rear springs which makes me wonder if they have even tried to mount the springs they recommend on this bike. I mean 58N/mm spring as they say, i need maybe 20mm preload on to get race sag right...

Im an expert level rider with full ohlins and a ride link on my 13.5 450sxf im running 105 to 108mm sag and apsolutly love my suspension. Ill get what im running as far as clickers i am 205lbs. Im running 51 in the front and im thinking its a 56 in the back. Might b a 58. My stuff is straight so forgiving, i can go anywhere i want on the track, its like it glued to the ground, i had the 13 model stuff to and theres not a huge diffrence more in the forks with the top out spring. I cant believe u can compare your ohlins shock to your wp, thats why i know something isnt right with your set up. Ive spent a ton of $$$

Sorry hit post by mistake. I spent a fortune with mx tech and imo hes the best with wp, everytuner goes to him for advice,and my ohlins shock is way better than his set up. Mxboy2661@yahoo.com email me

Im an expert level rider with full ohlins and a ride link on my 13.5 450sxf im running 105 to 108mm sag and apsolutly love my suspension. Ill get what im running as far as clickers i am 205lbs. Im running 51 in the front and im thinking its a 56 in the back. Might b a 58. My stuff is straight so forgiving, i can go anywhere i want on the track, its like it glued to the ground, i had the 13 model stuff to and theres not a huge diffrence more in the forks with the top out spring. I cant believe u can compare your ohlins shock to your wp, thats why i know something isnt right with your set up. Ive spent a ton of $$$

What is your static sag and spring length/Preload? Can you so me a favor and check it? I dont understand how you can get decent sag numbers on these light springs, you must be at 17-20mm preload or so? Sure, i/you can ignore those numbers if the bikes behaves the way you want. You run the 486 or 490 mm shock?

Im running the 490mm with a ride link. Try it. Ur driving yourself crazy wuth static #

Im running the 490mm with a ride link. Try it. Ur driving yourself crazy wuth static #

I Have the RE link also for testing, and 490mm. But can you share you static sag and preload?

Talked to the suspension tuner today and he was kind of annoyed with Ohlins since they claimed in the telco they had i should be running maximum 60 rear spring. Obviously they have not mounted those springs on a 450 and tried it with a rider in that weight class. Tuner is going back to Ohlins now to get more info, most likely we will valve it a lot stiffer and use either 60 or 62 spring with 10mm preload, independent of the SAG.

Thats why im interested in your sag and preload.

mxboy

How much difference did the ride link make?  

Huck the i wouldnt waste $$$ on the link. Get the 20mm triple clamps. Im running the link cause i had it from my 13.

Huck the i wouldnt waste $$$ on the link. Get the 20mm triple clamps. Im running the link cause i had it from my 13.

I have the ride 20.5's but I haven't  put them on yet.  I have a 13 and only have 2 hrs on it so far but really like it. 

Huck, send me some pics of your bike mxboy2661@yahoo.com

Sent you a few. Did you get them?

Huck, yeah I got them very nice! U gave up on the orange frame? I had the fmf 4.1rct / megabomb, and the yosh on my 13, and my buddy got the new yosh for his 14.5 fe, thats why i sold my fmf system, that yosh is insane! The fmf runs better with the stock header and the rct silencer than the megabomb.im playing with gearing. 13/50,51 14/51. I think im gna go back with 14/51 i got a gearing chart, explains ea change. Good stuff

Huck, yeah I got them very nice! U gave up on the orange frame? I had the fmf 4.1rct / megabomb, and the yosh on my 13, and my buddy got the new yosh for his 14.5 fe, thats why i sold my fmf system, that yosh is insane! The fmf runs better with the stock header and the rct silencer than the megabomb.im playing with gearing. 13/50,51 14/51. I think im gna go back with 14/51 i got a gearing chart, explains ea change. Good stuff

Yea, I ran out of time and patience plus I wasn't sure if I was going to like the bike. Now I kinda of wish I did. Maybe I will just buy a 15 or find a 14.5 FE.