Sign in to follow this  

Recommendations for Carburetor Rebuild

So, after I ruptured my achilles tendon last year trying to be young again, I recovered 9 months later and attempted to start my KTM 450 MXC and no dice.  So, I popped of the bottom float boal off thinking I had crap in it, and BAM!  Entire carb gummed up with green goo.  Float bowl, jets, float needle, gas line, gas line feed to float bowl, etc.  So, when sprayed with carburetor cleaner, it turned to concrete.  Additionally, my 0-rings and gaskets crumbled.  Tried a rebuild kit and didn't get it done as it still doesn't work and leaks everywhere.  Beyond my pay grade now, so, I am looking for any suggestions for companies that can do a good job on a full rebuild.  This is for a Keihin FCR 39x carb.  Thanks in advance.

What year is the bike? The early carbs really didn't like ethanol, it perished all the rubbers. If the rubber seal between the carb halves is perished, throw the carb in the bin and buy a later carb. Those seals on the body are made of unobtainium.

I just had that same carb (39MM FCR) rebuilt by Danny at Zip Ty Racing.

They disassembled it and cleaned it in a heated solvent ultrasound cleaner, did the fuel pump mod, all new seals, gaskets, needle and jets, added an extended fuel mixture screw - and in my case, they replaced the fuel bowl itself - as it was cracked. All for $282 including shipping.

I'm thinking that the new fuel bowl was close to $100. So your carb would be that much cheaper.

The bike runs like a top!