Sign in to follow this  

Help new 250 xc-w won't start

I have a 2012 250 xc-w that I purchased new last October as a leftover.   I rode it once in October for approximately 1 hour before draining the fuel from tank/carb and putting it away for the winter. When I rode it for the hour last October it ran really terribly.  It would not idle at all and only started when I gave it gas.  I assumed it was just the as usual horrible stock ktm jetting (168 m, n8rw 4th, 35 pilot, 1.5 as) and would get to it in the spring.  Well I rejetted (170 m, Nozh #3, 42 pilot, 1.5 as) and it only started and ran for a few seconds then died and absolutely refused to restart.  What the heck is wrong with this thing? 

I have a 2012 250 xc-w that I purchased new last October as a leftover.   I rode it once in October for approximately 1 hour before draining the fuel from tank/carb and putting it away for the winter. When I rode it for the hour last October it ran really terribly.  It would not idle at all and only started when I gave it gas. 

Not too many people report success from putting bikes away for the winter to fix themselves.

What does your spark plug look like? does it start up with your old jetting? That 42 pj seems like a big jump from your 35 pj

Sounds like you've gone way too rich, unless you live in the arctic. Remeber when you turn the throttle, you are not actually giving a bike gas, you are adding air. I would start by going back to stock jetting, givin the carb a god clean since it sat so long, and double check float height. Mine is jetted really close to factory recomendation, with the exception of a JD needle, and it fires up no problem cold or hot.

Well I rejetted (170 m, Nozh #3, 42 pilot, 1.5 as) and it only started and ran for a few seconds then died and absolutely refused to restart.

That jetting sounds extremely rich for the XCW and I would estimate to be a blubbering mess. If you have a modded or SX head maybe not, but experimenting with my own XCW, I've found that W and J needles along with a 35-38 PJ work pretty good.

Yes that's pretty rich for a stock xcw, especially on the bottom end with the 42.

He's gone ......the jetting he listed will work for a FAST rider.

I say the plug is fouled......just a guess.

He's gone ......the jetting he listed will work for a FAST rider.

I say the plug is fouled......just a guess.

Actually the plug looked fine.  Did I not also say I drained the carb before winter?  I also said I used the stock jetting recommendation in the manual last October and the bike absolutely would not idle.  The jetting I have in there now came from recommendations on KTMtalk.  The spark seems okay.  I have the h and j needles but hear they are a bit lean for a bike that is not broken in yet...I'll check the float height.  

Pilot jet plugged?

Edited by E-TECH

I would start by going back to stock jetting, givin the carb a good clean since it sat so long, and double check float height.

• Like 1

I bought a brand new 2013 150xc and it did a samilar thing. It wouldn't start the plug was wet. When I did get it to start I had to give it some gas but usually the plug was fouled so it wouldn't start and if I did get it to start it wouldn't idle. Then It dawned on me to check the idle speed screw which was backed out from the factory? You'd think the dealer would have checked that during set up or at the factory? I had to screw it in like 13 turns if I remember correctly. Problem solved.

I bought a brand new 2013 150xc and it did a samilar thing. It wouldn't start the plug was wet. When I did get it to start I had to give it some gas but usually the plug was fouled so it wouldn't start and if I did get it to start it wouldn't idle. Then It dawned on me to check the idle speed screw which was backed out from the factory? You'd think the dealer would have checked that during set up or at the factory? I had to screw it in like 13 turns if I remember correctly. Problem solved.

Yup, the idle adjustment would be a good place to check. I know on mine 1/4 - 1/2 turn out too far can drop a few hundred RPMs which can be the difference between a good idle and spitting and sputtering.

Well the idle mixture screw is one thing I'm talking about the idle speed screw. It was backed out so far, right off the show room floor mind you, that the slide wasn't lifting enough to let enough air in to start. kneehurts I'd check both the speed and mixture screw settings if you haven't already. I was a little bummed the dealer didn't set those before I picked the bike up. Once I set the idle speed screw it now starts first kick and idles really nicely. I went with a JD jetting kit too and now the bike runs great.

Yep... The idle screw is usually all the way out on a new KTM ...check em.

Edited by E-TECH

I put a new plug in and the suzuki nedh needle 3rd, 42 pilot, 170 main as 1.5 and it isn't even farting.  I checked spark earlier in the week and it seemed fine.  I took the drain bolt off the carb and gas came out, so it is getting gas.  I can't believe it.  A brand new bike!  I'm ready to call ktm and tell them to take it back.

I put a new plug in and the suzuki nedh needle 3rd, 42 pilot, 170 main as 1.5 and it isn't even farting.  I checked spark earlier in the week and it seemed fine.  I took the drain bolt off the carb and gas came out, so it is getting gas.  I can't believe it.  A brand new bike!  I'm ready to call ktm and tell them to take it back.

It started  and ran for 5 seconds after I unsuccessfully tried to bump start it.   It would not idle and stalled even while giving it gas and refused to restart..  I think I may put it back to stock jetting.  That would be the same jetting used for that 1 hour last year where it only started with full throttle but absolutely would not idle. The manual says check the ignition.  Not sure how to do that and the last ktm I had with a bad ignition was when they used sem' s.  I'll check the float height and post results.  I am going to call ktm customer support tomorrow in case I need it fixed under warranty.  Unreal.  I really thought it was just crappy stock jetting last year and would be fine once I re-jetted in the spring.

Lessee you bought a 2012 last fall that sat for what ??  Two year? Ran the bike once and put it away?  Now it's the bikes fault?   So do this:  Drain ALL the fuel out of the tank and carb.  Remove the carb and  thoroughly clean it, replace the  pilot jet with a NEW 35 or 40.  Remove the main jet and make sure it is clear and that you can see air in the hole. Set the needle in the middle position.  Verify the float level is correct and that the needle valve is shutting off fuel flow when required.  Set the air screw one turn out. Clean and oil the air filter..  Install a NEW spark plug gapped to spec. Mix new fuel and oil, put a gallon or so in the tank.  Open the pet cock and lay the bike on it's side till fuel comes out of the carb overflow.  Stand the bike up put it in 3rd gear. Make sure that fuel stops flowing out of the carb overflow.   Rock the bike back and forth several times so the piston moves a bit. Put bike in neutral and try to start.

Edited by zilla

That 42 pilot is too big. I run a 38 in the winter on my 300 at sea level.