Sign in to follow this  

Valve clearances too tight

I have a 2006 yz250f and have recently checked the valves to see if their on spec. The valves clearances ended up being too tight. Could someone tell me why this might of happend? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399850200.110582.jpg

Well if its been a long time since theyve been done...normal wear. Even the trusty yamaha valves wear out eventually. If they were done somewhat recently, could be something like dirt getting past the air filter causing them to wear prematurely.

Do you know the history of the valves...approximate hours on them, when if ever they were done, etc, etc.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

I am not to sure how many hours are on the valves. But dirt getting past the air filter would not be the issue. I am very meticulous on my air filter being clean (cleaned every ride).

Just did mine, had the intakes at 0.08 to 0.1, exhaust at 0.17

Pushed them to to loose end of the range. And since I do not know the history of them, I was advices to check more often to see if they move quickly. Plan to check after 30 hours. Btw, did not notice much after, maybe better starts when hot.

Your exhaust valves are pretty tight...

Could someone tell me why this might of happend?

How long have you owned the bike, and how often do you service the air filter, and how do you service the air filter?

OK.

Any idea about how this was done with this bike from 2006 - 2012?

Normal wear will result in a too tight condition.  (One might think with time, they would become too loose but that's not the case.)  Shim them to the loose end of spec's as mentioned above and enjoy a better running motor.

OK.

Any idea about how this was done with this bike from 2006 - 2012?

How what was done??

Normal wear will result in a too tight condition. (One might think with time, they would become too loose but that's not the case.) Shim them to the loose end of spec's as mentioned above and enjoy a better running motor.

Alright, I'll be shimming them within this week. Thanks for the input!

After you shim them, recheck after about 5 hrs of ride time. If they are tight again, it is time for a valve job.