Sign in to follow this  

Reseating the valve seats

What's the best place to get the cutting tool to cut the valve seats? I've watched a few YouTube videos and it looks fairly simple with the right tools. It's actually for a 250r but their not saying anything over there. Should I find the tool or just pay a machine shop?

Well I have a few different buddy that it's time for complete top ends.. BUT some are 250's and the rest are 450's... That'd prob be different size bits huh?..

I do all the work and they pay me in tools and supply's SO depending on how much tools would cost I might be interested in this investment.

Check this video out, it might help

I have heard nothing but great things about Pro 1 and I am sending my head to him next week

Edited by mrmoto35
  • Like 1

Point taken. I'd be nice to find somebody close to where I'm at. My problem is I don't trust mechanics where I live and I hate loosing a month because of shipping.. Anyways appreciate the help fellas! Guess I'm on the hunt for the best head shop that's the closest.

Point taken. I'd be nice to find somebody close to where I'm at. My problem is I don't trust mechanics where I live and I hate loosing a month because of shipping.. Anyways appreciate the help fellas! Guess I'm on the hunt for the best head shop that's the closest.

You could open your own P1 franchise http://www.pro1racingheads.com/?q=performance-centers

If it was lucrative I would consider it. I always liked machining

I used to do tool & die over 20 years ago. I took machine shop in high school and ROP machine shop for a few summers. I did my apprenticeship here in So-Cal and worked for 2 decent companies. I liked the work but it didn't pay well enough for me to make it a life long career. I still to this day would love to have easy access to a mill, a lathe, a surface grinder etc

hey diggla have your buds buy you a newen seat and guide machine. easy on the youtube videos.

Haha I'm going to replace the stock to with ss SO IF the seats arnt too beat up then I think I'm gonna try n lap them

For $79 for a valve job @ Bigborethumpers.com Its cheap Insurance, and we use a serdi that gives you a full radius valve job making the seat look like a velocity stack.

You are right sir! Even tho it's not my money or bike. I want it done right. I was just thinking where can I get to cut this thing when I picked up my phone. It'll be the later part of next week.
  • Like 1

And we have new stainless steel valve kits for $210. this includes valves, heavy duty springs, and titanium retainers.

That's a pretty good price. Since were talking numbers if I send y'all the head how much to cut the head and new ss valves all set up, out the door and ready to bolt up? (07 250r)

$79 for the valve job and $210 for the valve kit. $26 for a valve stem seal kit. The $79 is dissassimble your head, clean it and inspect it, check the guides, and re assemble it. If the head needs guides it will run you and additional $140. . Plus the shipping home. And you will just have to shim the head, and ride it like you stole it. 

And we have new stainless steel valve kits for $210. this includes valves, heavy duty springs, and titanium retainers. 

SS valves / Titanium Retainers

thats like a fat chick eatin a Big Mac with large fries and drinking a diet Coke lol

• Like 2

Unless you're a pro, you shouldn't run titanium retainers. They have a short life span. Lightweight tool steel retainers is where it's at! Tough -vs- brittle.

• Like 1

They work very well on my bike. And they have been on for over 5 years. Figure its about time to change them out but again another wear item. And for $70 for a new set, I say its worth the weight loss. You are already adding a heavier valve, and you don't want to turn up the valve spring pressure more than it is to control the extra weight because you will start killing valve faces, and seats. 

They work very well on my bike. And they have been on for over 5 years. Figure its about time to change them out but again another wear item. And for $70 for a new set, I say its worth the weight loss. You are already adding a heavier valve, and you don't want to turn up the valve spring pressure more than it is to control the extra weight because you will start killing valve faces, and seats.

Are you sure they're not made from tool steel or stainless steel? Of they're all bright and shiny they're likely steel. If they're grayish with brushed looking finish they're likely titanium. The ones on your website look like tool steel to me.

Check out cylinderheadsupply.com. They have everything you need to get started. Little spendy to get into, but since when do we put a price on having fun!

• Like 1