Sign in to follow this  

I was adjusting my rear spring preload when...

I noticed that the entire shock assembly can rotate about 3/8ths of an inch. Should it do this? Or do I have a very defective bushing?

I had the rear wheel off the ground and was adjusting the preload. I'm 6' 2" and 270lbs. When I purchased the bike it had a lowering link installed. I've since replaced the link with an OEM part. My son has the exact same bike and his bike was quite a bit taller than mine but he also has a 130 tire compared to my 120. I found that my spring adjustment rings were all of the way to the top and the bike sagged about 2 inches under its own weight. I don't think my son's bike sags at all under it's own weight. I adjusted the rings to let the bike sag only about 3/4s of an inch under its own weight when I noticed that the entire shock rotates slightly and at that point I stopped to write this post.

Is there a problem with my rear suspension and do most people's bikes sag a bit from their own weight without the rider?

All bikes should sag when you sit on them. Static sag is how much the bike settles under its own weight. Race sag is how much it settles when you stand on the pegs with your gear on. Most times, you want your race sag to be about 30% of the total travel.If you had no sag, your suspension would be stiff to the point where it wouldn't move much if any when riding.

• Like 1

Awesome. Thanks again. This is a really great forum. I'm finding members who've posted on youtube with great informative videos and all of the answers seem to be here.