Sign in to follow this  

1975 MT250 ELSINORE Cylinder Rattling

Hey! Bike is in great shape,great compression,3000 original miles,starts and runs beautifully,but I'm getting serious detonation or ping.It sounds like marbles rattling around in the cylinder.Will just adding octane boost help,or is there some additive to help old leaded gas loving engines that you would recommend?041.JPG?Thanks! Update:I just threw some Maxima Octane Boost into it (3 oz. per gallon),and it helped a ton.Much better pick-up and about 80% of the rattling is gone,and what is still there is much quieter.Any other tips,or do I have to figure everything out myself?

Edited by flapwick

Make sure you have the recommended heat range/correct spark plug.  I like the VP 93 octane I used to get in Hayward- no frickin' ethanol either and if you are in SoCal maybe this will help ya.   http://www.davebarton.com/Unleaded_Racing_Fuel_in_SoCal    Also check your plug reading for whatever fuel you are running( i.e. pump gas with Maxima booster) and make sure it is not running to lean or rich.  Having a 2 Stroke try to avoid ethanol gas-tall order in Kalifornia and a lot of the U.S.