Sign in to follow this  

What size for my grandson

I have a 6 year old grandson that would like to start riding. I've been down the Cobra and KTM 50cc road before and I'm not doing it again. Can someone please tell me what size 4t Honda to get him. He's great on a bicycle with plenty of skills. Thanks.

I have a 6 year old grandson that would like to start riding. I've been down the Cobra and KTM 50cc road before and I'm not doing it again. Can someone please tell me what size 4t Honda to get him. He's great on a bicycle with plenty of skills. Thanks.

used 50 to start, and then the new replacement for that is the 110.  I say used just because he may like and may not.  He also may grow out of it quickly.

• Like 1

I bought my son a 110 when he was 7. Running around on grass and packed dirt wasn't to much of an issue. However we had some real difficulties running on anything loose. The bike was a bit big, with that type of riding. He is day and night better this year.

The problem is 50cc he will outgrow in a year and you wish you had a 110.

The 110 does require you to shift gears (no clutch). That concept could be difficult if he's not use to that. At first I would just put the bike in 2nd and let the kid go, he wouldn't go to fast cause he could here the motor. So you have that and also the throttle stop to help you regulate speed.

The CRF110 is such a great bike. No reason to get anything else, unless he is really short kid. Then a 50 might be better.

You might want to investigate the the Oset electric motorcycles.  Wish I had that option when my kids were young.  Some people on thumpertalk are saying they can ride them anywhere like at parks or other places like that since they dont make noise.  Seems like a pretty cool option to build riding skills when young.  Might be something to consider since your grandson is good on bikes.

Do a search here on Thumpertalk.

I start the grandkids on CRF50, then 'graduate' them to a CRF110, finally a CRF150 or 2stroke(65 or 85)  if they really like riding and racing, if not the CRF230 is the final step before they need to get their own with their own money.

Don't try and race by proxy, let them learn at their own pace, keep them on a 4 stroke like the 50 or 110 at least two years, and let them learn to ride the bike, don't try and mod the bike before they know how to really ride.  Mods just creates a handicap when they get the next larger bike.  All my kids went through this progression and did well till they grew up and had their own kids and the usual budget constraints, then I train the grandkids.  Zoey the current 8 yr old grand daughter has true potential, almost three months riding, still on a stock 110 learning and repetition.  She will not race this year till near end of season, and still on stock bike.  Be patient it will come if it is destined to come.

A 50 4stroke is a good place to start. Put it in second and let em burn! My son started riding last year at 7yrs old on a 70 because he is so tall. The newerish bikes had a throttle limiter so you can keep them under a 100mph :)

If he's small get the 50, if he's bigger get the 70 or 110. I went with the 70 and 80 instead of the 110 and 125 (same sizes) because of the huge weight savings.

A 110 is NOT the same size as a 125. Not even close. The 110 is slightly bigger then the retired 70