yamaha wr250f or honda crf230f?

i'm going to buy a bike but i'm not sure as to which one to get. i have a limited amount of money available so i will not be able to do rebuilds every 80 hours or so. i know that the crf230f is a very low maintenance bike. although i am wondering how does the wr compare maintenance wise. will i be rebuilding often? i will be able to do the smaller points like air filters, oil filters and oil changes. 

The WR will have everything you wished the 230 had. And unless you plan on riding nuts out all the time, you won't need to rebuild every 80 hrs. Don't beat it to hard and keep the oil clean. She'll go a long time between rebuilds.

• Like 1

i'm going to buy a bike but i'm not sure as to which one to get. i have a limited amount of money available so i will not be able to do rebuilds every 80 hours or so. i know that the crf230f is a very low maintenance bike. although i am wondering how does the wr compare maintenance wise. will i be rebuilding often? i will be able to do the smaller points like air filters, oil filters and oil changes. 

This depends on whether its your first bike or not and how big you are.

I've seen good riders on 230's outride crap riders on 450s. Granted the same rider is instantly faster on other bigger better suspended more expensive bikes, the 230s aren't necessarily a bad machine.

anyway:

First bike and not huge, happy to putt around: CRF230

An average to large rider first bike: WR250f

Not your first bike WR250f

• Like 1

I have owned both bikes. I bought a 2006 230 when my son was 14 because I got it for a screeming deal. It was a good bike and my son  had a lot of fun on it. It was definitely heavy for him but after a short time he figured out how to handle the weight. The thing is rock solid and it a good bike.

When he was 15 we sold it because he just needed more. More power, better suspension, just MORE! Bought a 2008 WR250F. This bike is awesome. I have never had one problem with the bike. Runs great, great trail suspension, great handling, lighter than the 230 and he says it is just plain easier for him to ride and be a good rider.

I still think it was maybe a good transition as the 230 was lower in height and it would tractor around slower than the 250 but in the end the 250 works for our kind of trail riding by far better.

Just my 2 cents.

thanks for the responses. i am 15 years old and weigh 80 odd kg. i will be coming of of an old 125 4-stroke ag bike. the 125 is simply becoming boring and slow. i can ride quite well although i have never ridden a 250 before. it sounds like the wr would be a much better option. 

thanks again

• Like 1

thanks for the responses. i am 15 years old and weigh 80 odd kg. i will be coming of of an old 125 4-stroke ag bike. the 125 is simply becoming boring and slow. i can ride quite well although i have never ridden a 250 before. it sounds like the wr would be a much better option. 

thanks again

At 80 KG you're not gunna want a 230  ?

WR all the way.

• Like 2