Sign in to follow this  

Oil filter drain plug bolt threads

So I stripped the threads where the oil filter drain plug bolt go into today. I have a bolt that is about 1/4" longer that fits and is holding.  Are there any problems with using a longer bolt to solve this problem so I can avoid helicoiling it?  I guess my question really is whats on the other side of the hole?  I feel like an idiot already so flame on.  I didn't cross thread it but probably over tightened it one too many times. It is an 07 YZ250f

Edited by atomic410

Doesn't make sense. I thought the screws are softer than the case so this doesn't happen? Are you sure it's not the screw that's messed up and not the case?

What's on other side of hole? Don't know but I would not fire up the engine till I knew for sure.

http://www.zoro.com/g/00055720/k-G2506506?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kpid=G2506506&gclid=CK6F39C7pb4CFU8Q7AodbyAApA

Loctite Form a thread will work on occasion.  I would do this first, then helicoil.

Clean the hole out with brake cleaner, use the thread release on the bolt to keep it from sticking, and let it set for the specified time.  I had good luck with a similar problem years ago on a 2T Yamaha.

Edited by ronbuell

To be honest I would check the bolt threads to see if the bolt stripped not the case like the gatorfan mentioned..... However if the case it's self is stripped then I would just tap the hole out not use a helicoil..... I stripped my oil reservoir bolt a long time ago and I just tapped it out using a tap and die set, matched the original bolt up with a slightly larger tap, that way you get new threads, and barley turn the tap in, pull it out to clean metal shavings, and repeat the hole process (length of original bolt). You wanna make sure you try and eliminate as much metal shavings as possible. Then I put a new bolt that matched the thread count and size and depth perfectly at Home Depot I believe and cut it to length going off the original bolt size, new O ring and snugged it up; worked great. Make sure after you ride the bike 1 ride, change the oil and the oil filter to get all the metal shavings that might have gotten in even though you were careful..... If the case is stripped and just the bolt is then I would go to your local yamaha parts dealer and get a new bolt from them, or Cut the bolt you have in there now to exact length of the original :) hope this helped and sorry for the novel!

{Only The Best}

Doesn't make sense. I thought the screws are softer than the case so this doesn't happen? Are you sure it's not the screw that's messed up and not the case?

What's on other side of hole? Don't know but I would not fire up the engine till I knew for sure.

Bought a new screw and it didn't help there is nothing behind it it goes to a wall several threads past what the bolt reaches. I would have thought the problem would be the bolt too. However it's not enough threads to make me not worried about it shaking out 10 miles into the woods. I think I might try tapping it to the next biggest sae or metric size. I really think I have nothing to loose by doing it.