Sign in to follow this  

New Aftermarket Stator - Issues

Hi folks,I'm a bit of a CRF450X newbie and I just added the ElectroSport Plug & Play high-output stator to drive the "street" electrical goodies on my '07 450X. It appeared to have the same connectors. I opened my side cover, put the new one in, plugged it in, and went to start the bike - NO SPARK. Pulled the cover, put the stock one back on and closed it up - BIKE RUNS FINE.

With the ElectroSport, I could see the headlight barely glowing (no spark)vwhile the starter was running. With the stocker, bike fires right up. I'm perplexed.

How likely is it that the ElectroSport is DOA?

I guess I don't understand the electrical, but when I dualsported my XR650R, I had to MacGyver the electrical to get DC. This sin't necessary on the CRFX I guess?

Any help/advice definitely appreciated.

RZ Rob

It sounds DOA to me, unless there are some odd wiring instructions that weren't in the box.

I've been running my RickyStator stator for close to 3k miles and it is working great.

Hi folks,I'm a bit of a CRF450X newbie and I just added the ElectroSport Plug & Play high-output stator to drive the "street" electrical goodies on my '07 450X. It appeared to have the same connectors. I opened my side cover, put the new one in, plugged it in, and went to start the bike - NO SPARK. Pulled the cover, put the stock one back on and closed it up - BIKE RUNS FINE.

With the ElectroSport, I could see the headlight barely glowing (no spark)vwhile the starter was running. With the stocker, bike fires right up. I'm perplexed.

I guess I don't understand the electrical, but when I dualsported my XR650R, I had to MacGyver the electrical to get DC. This sin't necessary on the CRFX I guess?

RZ Rob

this isn't exactly for a crf but a old suzuki GS, the principles should still apply. 

Step 2 - further testing of the stator

If the previous test has shown that our beloved stator is suspect, we will measure resistance between all pairs of the stator and between each lead and the stator center (with the engine turned OFF). In all cases we should see a low resistance or continuity between the 3 legs, testing them in pairs.  We should not have a resistance reading of infinity ('open') or zero (short).  Instead you should see a resistance reading that is within 0.5 to 2.0 Ohms  If there is a short or open, somewhere isolation/varnish on the wire has been damaged (probably melted) and we have a useless stator.

Repairing this is a hard job. If you are interested, check out The Stator Papers VI - How to rewind your own Stator.  For the average guy, the best thing to do is exchange it for a professionally reworked or buy a new unit.

- http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfaq.htm#whether the stator has passed away

and for more fun try this

http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfacts.htm

When you got your stator did you get a regulator/rectifier with it?  If you need to get one I would suggest picking up a compu fire brand one, you just need to figure out if the crf stator is single phase or 3 phase. Ebay has used for cheap and they rarely go bad. The compufire r/r doesn't shunt electricity and generate heat, it actually shuts off stator legs in order to maintain voltage thus it is easier on the stator and tends to let the motor run a touch cooler because the stator doesn't get as hot with all the load running through all the time. 

Edited by rharr

Thanks for the quick replies folks. I took it back to ElectroSport (they're 10 minutes from my work in Irvine. Turns out they had a couple wires swapped in the assembly process. They handed me a new one (tested on site) and sent me on my way.

Fingers crossed.

RZ Rob

Thanks for the quick replies folks. I took it back to ElectroSport (they're 10 minutes from my work in Irvine. Turns out they had a couple wires swapped in the assembly process. They handed me a new one (tested on site) and sent me on my way.

Fingers crossed.

RZ Rob

Just a couple of wire crossed... :devil:  I would have sent them on their way... I wonder what else they did wrong... I guess you'll find out when you're in the middle of nowhere... I would go with a B/D or Ricky Stator and give theirs back so they can do their own testing :thumbsdn:

• Like 1

RZ Rob

Did they let you know if you want to reuse the stock light it will need to be rewired to receive power from the battery?

Did they let you know if you want to reuse the stock light it will need to be rewired to receive power from the battery?

Also, if you allow the output of the stator to run thru the stock harness to get to the r/r you will end up with a smoked wire harness and burnt connectors at the r/r. The stators output needs to have its own harness to connect to the r/r.

Also, if you allow the output of the stator to run thru the stock harness to get to the r/r you will end up with a smoked wire harness and burnt connectors at the r/r. The stators output needs to have its own harness to connect to the r/r.

Thanks for chiming in. As a side-note, I tried their stator on my XR too and it also had issues. I only used them because they're right next to my work. Ultimately I went with what XR's Only sells which I think is the Ricky Stator(?) on my 650. When I plated my CRF150F, I went with the Baja Designs kit, and I seem to recall them sending me to you (to ship my stator?). That was 10 years ago.  On my Aprilia I went with those guys on the East Coast (took two of those to get a good one too).

I'm not following you exactly though. So, I haven't altered/added the Pro-Cycle harness yet which I guess would circumvent the stock light. Right now I just bolted it up and the bike/ stock light seems to run fine. I'd like to understand the light issue first, but I think it'll be a non issue for me due to the additional harness.

But, I'm worried about the rest. So, The Stator has two plugs; a 4-wire and a 2-wire. I'm not sure where they both go, and I'm not expecting high demands, but it's possible. How can I prevent smoking the harness/plugs?

Thanks again for your help.

RZ Rob

Look at the stator picture in this link http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1000781-hid-upgrade/

Notice that the there is additional harness with the stator and regulator, this is the harness that feeds the output of the stator direct to the r/r bypassing the stock harness.  These stators are very temperamental, if not wond with the right type of wire it will fail, just be aware of that fact. Also the stator lead should be wired with teflon wire, not cheap plastic wire.

Look at the stator picture in this link http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1000781-hid-upgrade/

Notice that the there is additional harness with the stator and regulator, this is the harness that feeds the output of the stator direct to the r/r bypassing the stock harness.  These stators are very temperamental, if not wond with the right type of wire it will fail, just be aware of that fact. Also the stator lead should be wired with teflon wire, not cheap plastic wire.

Hmmn. Now I'm concerned. So I see the extra harness (and the 2 yellow wires). So if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying I'd now have 2 R/Rs on the bike? One managing the stock system and one managing everything auxiliary (i.e. above & beyond stock (ignition))? Again, this sounds like what I did on my XRR, but in that case, I plumbed the stock light into the DC circuit so I still only had one R/R. I'd like to have some telephone dialog with you and figure out next steps (i.e. immediate procurement of required goodies). Is this possible?

BTW, that HID kit in the link you sent I put on my XRL. Was really happy with it, but had to get clever hiding all the components.

RZ Rob