Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Can someone can me some help with making my 11 450 corner better?

Ill start by say that iam a C rider. 185# with gear.6-0 ' tall. 35 years old . Only been riding mx for 4 years. I am having trouble getting my bike to corner. It use to conrer ok but as I get a little faster the front seem to was out or push all the time . It seems like I cant put enough weight on the front end to get it to stick. My friend whonis same weight and a better rider, he rides a 09 450f . He said the same thing , bike handles funny. The suspenison was sent to JGRmx for respring and revalve for my weight when I bought the bike . My sag is set 104mm. I have been playing with clickers to try to fix this problem . No help. Could somebody give me a little help as to where a good base line clicker setting is .

While at the track yesterday I rode a 14 rmz450 demo bike from local dealer. The bike was stock. I had no problem with that bike in corners. I felt more comfortable on that bike in corners then I do on my bike . What can I do to help fix this problem? Offset clamps?

Exactly how I feel about my 2010. Put 22mm clamps on it and also tried a linkage arm, both of which definitely helped but didnt solve the overall problem. Rode my buddies new 2013 and was amazed at how much better it felt in corners. Night and day difference... This is why im looking to get a new 2014 within the next couple of weeks.

Good luck with finding the solution. If you find something, let us know.

The 09-11 bikes, maybe even the 12 too, but never rode one, they have a tendency to stand up in the corners. I tried 21.5mm triples and it helped some, but it was never perfect. I have a 13 now and it's much better.

This probably doesn't really help you, but It's never going to turn like an RMZ, but on the bright side, it is going to have a better motor.

As the others stated, the clamps and rear links help and get a lot of positive reviews. 

I'm a B rider on the same bike at the same weight and height as you. I also felt the cornering wasn't as great as some of my other bikes, but I wanted to get the most out of the stock bike before upgrading components and adding variables.

I've found that the bike is really sensitive to fork height. You don't mention your setting, but in my case extending the fork tubes from 5mm to 10mm above the top clamp really helped keep the front end planted with more traction and reduced pushing with no sign of head shake.  Rebound setting was also critical to cornering. Too fast and the bike will not hold an inside line at all and will push to the outside and feel like its going to break traction.  With stock damping my rebound is 8-10 out, but you've had yours revalved so my only advice is to try and slow down the rebound until the bike wants to keep turning or knife in then stop and back out a click or two from there.  On the back end, I settled on 102 for sag, with 10 clicks of LSC and 1 1/4- 1 1/2 turns of HSC. 

Also, what tires and pressure are you running? Everyone has their favorites so I wont touch that one for fear of being flamed, but tires and pressures that are poorly matched to the track conditions can make for loose, light feeling front end and make the suspension much harder if not impossible to dial in.

Thank you guys for the info . Onezero00one , I am running 12psi in the back and front. The track I ride is not real hard pack. More sand than anything

Interesting thread, as I have a few issues with my 2012 at the moment, bike is great when you a rut of berm to work with, but on a flat track, the front end doesn't like turning either.

Question with the fork heights, when you say go up 10mm, is that moving the line on the forks 10mm past the top, or is it 10mm to the highest point on the fork?

Thorns - There are two lines scribed on the upper fork tubes. The first is 5mm, the second is 10mm.  So to set the fork height at 10mm, you should have two lines showing, with the second line showing just above the top clamp.   This will give you a measurement of 10mm from the clamp to the top of the fork tube, (not including the threaded cap).

Hey guys, I just picked up a leftover 13. I came off a 2012 rmz250. I loved the old girl, but wanted a 450 again.

Ive done the 21.5 clamps and longer stock link to my KX. Still having trouble getting the bike to feel good in the corners. I mainly ride my own track which tends to be mid to hard clay with some tight/sharpe corners. Im not a fan of the stock Bridgestones as they are just a "mid" tire. Since my track gets hard, I feel like the knobs are folding over in the corners. When the dirt is softer they hook up good. Ive been playing with tire psi(12) and tonight I'm gonna lower my forks to the 10mm mark.

I plan to buy the 20mm clamp just to see if i like the feel better. After doing a search, I've found only a few people tried the 20mm clamp.

Hey guys, I just picked up a leftover 13. I came off a 2012 rmz250. I loved the old girl, but wanted a 450 again.

Ive done the 21.5 clamps and longer stock link to my KX. Still having trouble getting the bike to feel good in the corners. I mainly ride my own track which tends to be mid to hard clay with some tight/sharpe corners. Im not a fan of the stock Bridgestones as they are just a "mid" tire. Since my track gets hard, I feel like the knobs are folding over in the corners. When the dirt is softer they hook up good. Ive been playing with tire psi(12) and tonight I'm gonna lower my forks to the 10mm mark.

I plan to buy the 20mm clamp just to see if i like the feel better. After doing a search, I've found only a few people tried the 20mm clamp.

Weird. I found the 21.5mm clamps to be VERY twitchy with anything greater than 5mm fork height on an MX track with decent sized braking bumps. I just put the 21.5 on this weekend and started at 10mm fork height, but quickly lowered them about 3mm at a time and finally ended up at at ~3mm as a pretty good improvement over stock. Still more nervous in the bumps, but a good tradeoff for more turning prowess. I also have the kawi longer link arm and have the sag at 103-105mm.

There's not a chance in hell I'd ever try the 20mm clamps. I could only see those as useful in the woods doing tight trails (at least for my riding style).

Edited by skthom2320

Im a fast novice and 6'2 tall. I weigh 175lbs (about 78kgs) I have a 5.3 Eibach spring which I don't think is correct because my sag numbers are way out! (Race:100mm, Static: 50mm) This means my spring is too stiff correct? but I think a 5.1 will be too soft for me.

My bike feel1s low like a chopper on the rear! and struggle to initiate turns. I have been running the same spring but I feel better with my sag at Race:90mm, Static:45mm for SoCal tracks. I don't want to buy the lowering link because I think it does the opposite of what I want?!

I have a 2013 and ride sand motocross: My bike feels good but stands up half way through corners and pushes wide. I notice it much more on hardpack around SoCal tracks where I need the handling to be sharper.

I run my forks 7mm through the triples but still not good enough. The front feels very tall and struggle to get it leaned over or initiate a corner and continue following a rut!

Do the 21.5mm Triple clamps solve these issues or is there a cheaper fix.

I would be interested in buying a second hand set if anyone has 21.5mm, as I don't really want to spend $500 if they don't help me!