Sign in to follow this  

Rear Sprocket Issue.

So, im runnin low on spending money and ive got a problem. I have a 2007 KLX250s and i purchased a 47 tooth rear sprocket yet the stock chain will not fill over the sprocket? Should i purchase a new chain? I would prefer not too since im running low on dough. Any suggestions are great ones. Thanks. Here she is if your curious

Is the chain too short to loop over, if so your only wiggle room could be the adjuster blocks they may give you just a little extra play. 

Wrong sprocket.

The sprocket fits the chain. The chain is just too short i believe. I guess ill snag a bikemaster chain for $30 

Most bikes will allow 3-4 links of play front and forward on the rear tire, so what you have to do is check your old sprocket and see how many teeth that sprocket is. Then subtract it from the new sprocket of 47 and that will tell you how many more links you need to fit a larger sprocket in the case your free play doesn't give you enough play to fit the chain. Chains are not that expensive, check out eBay, you can find a chain for under $20 + ship, or opt for the more expensive ones. So, A) put your old sprocket back on, save your dough and buy another chain, or B) return the old sprocket if you can and exchange it for a correct one, or c) go to a local bone yard and score a chain cheap and bust a few links off that to make your fit. Next time you buy something for your bike, you might want to come here and check to make sure you're buying the right thing. If you had, you wouldn't be in this predicament. :devil:

KLX's dont got em.

Gotta love ebay

Ya, pretty sure they do. You just cant flip them.

They don't have axle blocks. They have that conical forming that rides up against a pin. Similar to a lot of smaller bikes like a xr80

• Like 1

If you change the rear sprocket you can't use the stock chain, it will be too short. If you change.the front sprocket to a 13t you can keep the stock chain.