Sign in to follow this  

To tow or not to tow? And enclosed trailer help.

So I'm looking at getting this trailer, it's encloses but I'm not sure about all the details yet here is a picture.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399866176.635916.jpg

It is all set up on the inside for dirt bikes. It has storage, tool boxes, it's insulated, has ac, and it has a fold out bed. (will get more picture and details in a few days when I go look at it)

So my main question is does anyone have any experience towing with a first gen Toyota tacoma. They are rated at 5000lb but I don't think it would be a good idea to tow that much. Any ideas what the trailer weigh or if you would tow it?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399866802.659890.jpg

Any help would be appreciated

The tacoma looks a lot less heavy duty (I use that term lightly it's nothing like the f-350 I drive for work) than it really is. I have the cheap version of this truck.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399872784.550625.jpg

It has the same running gear and towing capacity just my truck is the base model.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399872713.528349.jpg

Edited by Bearlakeburton

The trailer it's self doesn't look to be too heavy for the truck to pull but it depends on how much the truck squats when it's hooked up. Keep in mind the trailer may not be 5000lbs but it is a huge wind sail going down the road so towing with a smaller truck might be a little more difficult

I have a friend with a V-nose 6x10 and he pulls it with a V6 Tacoma Pre-runner, no issues. I think your issue will be ride height and comfort

If you could weigh the trailer before you buy it you would have a lot better idea. Being dual axle you probably have a 5-7000 lb capacity. I like to keep a 10% buffer between weight rating and actual weight of the trailer so 5000# cap = 4500# trailer max, but thats just me. Remember you are probably limited to 10% of the trailer weight for tongue weight. You need to look at  your tongue weight spec for your truck but 450# should be OK. 

I think that trailer is going to be heavy with all the cabs and bed and storage. That takes away from carrying capacity for the trailer and truck. It's tough to beat a trailer for convenience though.

FWIW, I have a 12 x 6 and a 23' Weekend Warrior Because the small trailer is tall, out on the highway I don't get much better mileage towing the small trailer vs. the WW trailer.

Edited by SMarquez
  • Like 1

My honest opinion is if you have to ask, you're probably towing too much. I wouldn't be super eager to tow that kind of weight with a tacoma, I towed a similar trailer with my f150 and ended up getting a bigger truck. Mind you, it was full of tools and what not but still. It's not just about towing capacity either, breaks are also another huge thing. My f250 does a far better job because it has bigger, better breaks.

Overworking your truck puts extra stress on the whole driveline, the suspension, frame and things like the breaks and tires. You prematurely wear out your stuff. Time for a bigger truck or a smaller trailer. 

• Like 2

Well I'm going to take it for a test drive and see how it feels. If the truck feels stressed then I will look for something smaller. I'm hoping that because I will just be hauling my bike and gear in it then it will be ok.

I wish I had the money for something bigger but unless I can get 25 mpg like I do now and spend less than 6000$ I don't want want to get a new truck.

Why do you need an indoor trailer for just 1 bike and gear?

1. It's nice to be able to have all my stuff in a trailer so packing is easy

2. I race and it would be nice to have a bed to sleep on the night before

3. I run a business at the races the requires me to be there both days hence #2 in the racing world appearance is everything if you look like you know what your doing people notice.

4. I would also use it as a mini camper because it is set up that way

1. It's nice to be able to have all my stuff in a trailer so packing is easy

2. I race and it would be nice to have a bed to sleep on the night before

3. I run a business at the races the requires me to be there both days hence #2 in the racing world appearance is everything if you look like you know what your doing people notice.

4. I would also use it as a mini camper because it is set up that way

Super secure compared to a truck or open trailer. Stop for dinner on the way home, no worries.

Load everything the day/night before, except ice for the cooler. Then you just get in and go. It took me a while to get used to this as it's so easy I felt like I was forgetting something.

No need to unload immediately when you get home. Late night, rain, whatever, disconnect and you're done. 

Well I'm going to take it for a test drive and see how it feels. If the truck feels stressed then I will look for something smaller. I'm hoping that because I will just be hauling my bike and gear in it then it will be ok.

I wish I had the money for something bigger but unless I can get 25 mpg like I do now and spend less than 6000$ I don't want want to get a new truck.

The bike and gear (300 pounds, maybe) won't make a lick of difference...5x8 single axle is probably the biggest you want to go

There is a very complete towing guide on Tacoma World forum. Most towing guides recommend around 80% of the manufacturers towing capacity as a maximum for a trailer and load combination. Figure on about 10% of the total weight as the tongue weight. You will want a frame mounted receiver and a weight distributing hitch. Electric brakes on the trailer would be highly recommended. If you have an auto transmission an oil cooler for it will save the transmission.Wind will be a factor, some times in your favor sometimes not. Then there is buffeting from the bigger vehicles especially in cross winds.

Be prepared for a significant drop in mileage while towing.

We have a 6x12 single axle V-nose. With 3 dirt bikes and an atv we get 10-12mpg in a v6 Buick rondevouz. Commuting it gets 22mpg. Main issue isn't weight, but wind resistance. Even at 75 it refuses to use overdrive and stays in third gear. You'll probably have the same issue.