Sign in to follow this  

RM250 2008 Won't Start

Hi there,

I recently bought a 2008 RM250. It ran perfectly fine last weekend (4th May) on a local enduro track. I did take one nasty fall and snapped the clutch level off but that was easily replaced and the bike ran perfectly well for the rest of the day. It started and idled in neutral the next day (I was showing a friend), however, when I tried to start it 4 days later, it just didn't start. As I was busy this weekend, I couldn't spend much time on it but it hasn't started all weekend, and I have no idea why. I tried kick and bump starting.

Things to note:

- the bike had apparently just been in for service by the previous owner. It was in excellent condition and ran/ sounded very good.

- I removed the spark plug and checked that. It sparks blue against a cylinder head nut when the bike is kicked over. However, it was black and oily. Too rich fuel mix? Would this alone stop the bike starting? I ordered a new spark plug anyway.

- Air filter is reasonably clean.

- Compression feels good, although, I'm not too sure how I can test this properly.

- I disengaged the kill switch and retried starting. Still no luck.

When I tried bump starting it, most of the time the back wheel would just lock up and nothing else would happen. However, once or twice it sounded like it almost started and then just died after 1-2 seconds.

When I ran it at the enduro track, I used the fuel that was already in the tank (full tank put in by previous owner). I refilled it the day after with my own fuel at a ratio of 32:1 (same as previous owner) so really this is the only thing that has changed, but I don't see how this could be causing the starting problem...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I suspect the new plug will cure it... once they get oily they can be a pain.. maybe leaving it idling while showing your mate caused that

Did you try cleaning your carb?

Not yet, will try to do that tonight if I get time

I suspect the new plug will cure it... once they get oily they can be a pain.. maybe leaving it idling while showing your mate caused that

I hope so!

Cheers for the replies!

Not to sound offensive but do you ride it like a nana or ring it to the upper limits. The reason I ask this is that if you ride it slow it could very well have oiled the plug. What colour is the pug?

Is the oil filter clean and reoiled. sometimes a good splill can knock things around like fuel mixture and float level settings. Try the plug first. Buy a good known new working one. Sometimes a slightly hotter plug will help with the starting issue but I would not recommend running it all the time as a plug that is too hot can cause engine damage.

Edited by GEOF

Cheers for the responses guys, cleaned the carb and spark plug up and she ran without a problem.

Not to sound offensive but do you ride it like a nana or ring it to the upper limits. The reason I ask this is that if you ride it slow it could very well have oiled the plug. What colour is the pug?

Haha! I was taking it easy on the enduro track (first time there and first time on a 250cc 2-stroke bike - plus it wasn't exactly a 'fast' track) so possibly that could have had a bit of an effect on the oily plug. But that was only for a few hours... Would that really have stopped it from starting? 

Again, I literally just got the bike so perhaps the previous owner rode it like a nana ;)

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Cheers for the responses guys, cleaned the carb and spark plug up and she ran without a problem.

Haha! I was taking it easy on the enduro track (first time there and first time on a 250cc 2-stroke bike - plus it wasn't exactly a 'fast' track) so possibly that could have had a bit of an effect on the oily plug. But that was only for a few hours... Would that really have stopped it from starting? 

Again, I literally just got the bike so perhaps the previous owner rode it like a nana ;)

Thanks again!

Yes that is excatly what can stop the bike from operating. Low rpms. I hope you enjoy your new ride............Don't forget they love the rpms and the spark plug needs the rpms to burn the fuel. Slow operating will foul the plug.