Sign in to follow this  

Bike prep for Glamis

Planning on going to glamis soon, never rode at the dunes. Pretty much ride MX, not to much trail riding. Other than paddle tire what necessary bike prep is needed for intake & other area on the bike/s. I'm on a 07 CRF 450R. What to look for in a paddle tire?

Another thing I'm wondering is if my boys will be able to ride In the sand very well at all. Both are not great riders and still getting there chops down on the track. Youngest is 12 and on a 08 TTR 125 mostly rides 60/80 tracks, he rides with me every time I go. My older son is in a 08 CRF 150F, he is also mostly riding 60/80 track and sometimes on the vet track with me, but has not ridden in over a year. Will they have fun or will it be a bust for the kids?

My opinion it will be a bust. The TTR and 150F don't have the power to keep the bikes on top of the sand. And razor back or bigger sand dune will eat them alive. There are areas that are flat and have more compacted sand but the draw to Glamis is the sand dunes. That is where they will stumble.

Another thing to consider is IMO, you are out of season, it's HOT. Gonna be 107 next weekend. We used to go once a month starting in October and Easter would be pushing it as far as weather.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Glamis+CA+USCA9043

As far as the bikes go, you can always just go and give it a shot to see for yourself. Parking over off of the washes by the Glamis store would offer you the best chance at sand that would be easier to ride the smaller bikes on, if there is such a thing.

Don't forget the $$ pass just for the "privilege" to ride there :banghead:

• Like 2

Like Ken said, those bikes are NOT sand friendly.  Power is a necessity in that type of terrain, gonna get stuck trying to leave camp!

Agree on it being too hot and agree if you go with the kids, camp in the washes for them to even have a chance of riding those little bikes.

I just want to ride.

Bill the cool thing about Socal is we have awesome riding year round...  but you wanna let the weather dictate when you go where so you can enjoy it.  Even the high desert is gonna be hot going forward.  Time to head for the hills till after summer. Kids will love riding in the trees.

• Like 1

Like Jeff said, take them to the trees.  Go to the Crab Flats campground area off of Green Valley Lake (through Running Springs), about a 4 mile dirt rd to a staging area.  It's all fire roads but it's at elevation, still a good time :thumbsup:

Great input guys, I'll make a plan in the cooler months. I pretty much figured the little bikes would be a bust.

• Like 1

Everyone is right on the money about power in the dunes.  A 150R would be fine which has similar power as my sons CR85RB.  Although we've never been to Glamis, he can climb to the top of every hill at Dumont.

As far as riding style, it's important to go fast uphill or downhill to get up on top of the sand.  Going slow downhill is WAY harder.

Also bring more gas than you would for trail riding.

W

Why?

Sold them to get a bike :lol: it's the whole chicken or the egg conundrum. :smirk:

Sold them to get a bike :lol: it's the whole chicken or the egg conundrum. :smirk:

ROFL!

Could also be that he moved from an area where he could just hop on his bike and hit the dirt, I lived in an area like this in my previous riding years... :D44

Then you move to the city and boom... bike is useless and you have no way of transporting it to make it useful.

You really don't need a paddle tire for dunes, especially if you're an experienced rider. Just air down to 8psi and you can go anywhere on a 450