Sign in to follow this  

Air filter issues.

My new 250X air filter is losing it's foam sealing lip where it mates to the air box.  The glue is simply not holding the foam lip to the rubber base it's normally attached to after just two cleanings.  I also tried a Uni filter, which have always worked well for me on all my other bikes, and the same issue occurred after one filter cleaning.  I haven't seen any posts about this, so I wonder if I'm using a cleaning method or products which are causing the problem.  I wash the filters with No Toil powder cleaner and oil them with Rock Oil air filter oil. I prefer this type of water serviceable system, but not at the expense of a healthy engine.   I've used this method and these products for years and have never had a filter issue, and the glue has never separated.  The main filter glued sections of the 250X filters have remained secure as well.  It's just the small sealing lip which is separating.  Obviously, this is of great concern and I'd love to hear what you guys are doing to successfully keep the filters in good shape and dirt out of the engine. 

Any recommendations/advice other than cleaning in gasoline?

Thanks a lot.

I use dawn dish soap and oil with PJ1 products.

The foam on my filters is just starting to break down around the mounting hole after four years.

Make sure your not twisting the filter when you clean it to wring it out.   Just squeeze gently, then let it dry in the sun before oiling.

I also use a good layer of grease on the foam lip to seal it down to the air box (I mention this because it really coats the foam seal and may be what helps with the longevity).

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman

Thanks, Jim. I don't twist and also use grease where it seals to the airbox. Are you using the stock filter? Since two different filter lips came unglued almost immediately, I'm suspecting my products. I'll look into PJ1.

I've had this same problem with both stock and No-toil filters.  If you are using hot water to wash or rinse, you may want to use warm instead.  I'm not certain, but it's possible hot water may soften the glue.  I've had success getting more life out of a couple filters by fixing the cracks with epoxy after I've cleaned them and before putting on oil.