Sign in to follow this  

Running hot

2013 RMZ450. I'm finally getting back to a fast B level mx pace for 20 minutes. Towards the end of the session my bike seems too be losing power and be very hot. Any suggestions. engine ice or Boyesen water pump etc.

How many hours on the motor? What mods? Checked all electircal components? Checked injector (will make the bike run lean if hot).

I would start by greasing all the electrical connections with dielectric grease, and checking valve clearances. Engine ice is the cheapest way to lower motor temps... good stuff. I run it in all of my bikes.

Edited by BDubb106

How hot is it getting?  

Trail tech sells water temp gauges, they're around $50 and the size of an hour meter.  IMO knowing your coolant temp is an important tool to make your bike run correctly.

About 25 hrs on motor. I will check connections and place dielectric on them. Not sure of the temp but can feel heat coming off the motor more than usual. I really should get a guage to confirm the bike is indeed running hot.

Edited by Cur4Sanity

The fuel pump connection is a common one to corrode or fill up with grit, check that. Also check your clutch plates aren't turning black and glazing over

• Like 1

The fuel pump connection is a common one to corrode or fill up with grit, check that. Also check your clutch plates aren't turning black and glazing over

Interesting thought, the clutch did feel odd..I will check the connections also as i do use a powerwasher

Oh yeah. If the clutch is worn you will definitely run hot....it can be scary. Fresh plates and fibers may be in order.