Sign in to follow this  

Green stuff in carburetor...NEW BIKE!

We purchased a new 2012 KTM SX50 Mini for our son about a month ago.  Sometimes it ran good....sometimes it didn't.  Recently it started running really bad...it kept stalling and bogging down (which these bikes are definitely not supposed to do!).  We went through adjustment after adjustment and nothing helped.  Finally we had no choice but to start tearing the bike down.  We ended up removing the carburetor and what we found surprised us.  In the bowl, there was this green material...it looked like either a gasket or some sort of cardstock (and there were no gaskets missing from the bike!).  This was getting sucked up in the tube and basically running the bike out of gas.  It had to have been like this from the factory or from the dealership.  Has anyone heard of such a thing happening...any ideas what it could have been?  Should I contact the dealership and if so what should I expect from them?  The dealership is 3.5 hours away so taking it back to get worked on would have been extremely cumbersome!  Happy that we finally got it running right but mad that this happened with a new bike!!

Seems like a bit of gasket fell in at the factory?  

Give them a call and talk to them about it.  If they aren't cool about it then let it inform future purchase decisions.  Since it is fixed not sure what they would do for you.  At the end of the day the bike is running now so run it! 

Seems like you already fixed it.  HOWEVER, running lean could have damaged engine - so let them know in case it burns up in near future.  HOWEVER, if you ever had the air filter off before - they will say it is your fault. 

It is corrosion from sitting with crappy gas for a long period of time. I had the same problem on my 13 300 xcw. I suggest you dump the fuel and look down into the tank to see if the fuel petcock is a big ball of green crystals. Mine was. KTM replaced mine under warranty. I took apart my carb and cleaned it thoroughly and have had no issues since. I posted pics in March or April last year in this section but cant seem to find them from my phone.

Edited by Fat Tony

My 300 ran lean for about a year. It's fine. The green stuff is varnish, from ethanol in gas. If you plan to have the bike sit for more than 2 months, drain the tank, and the float bowl. Clean the carb and jets with some carb cleaner, then put it back on and it should run great. It should be fine to ride.

its highly unlikely the engine is damaged

new bikes should get a thourough inspection with a fine tooth comb. bearings might not have much grease, fasteners may be loose, levers and chain might be out of adjustment. carbs are never set up right. the list could go on and on. you may think it shouldnt need all this attention since its brandnew and i see your point but thats the reality of it. some people have disregarded this simple stuff and payed the price.

mine had orange stuff in the tank. old motorex i suspect. installed a clear inline filter on day one so i caught it early and it didnt cause much problem.

theres a good chance your bike sat for well over 2yrs before you bought it. if it had last been started in late 2011 your lucky the whole carb wasnt gummed shut

if the green stuff is cleaned out and engine runs well then i wouldnt make a big fuss

Edited by harryhandshake