Sign in to follow this  

02' CR125 pipe problems!

Recently purchased 2002 CR125 came with an FMF REV pipe and what appears to be a stock muffler. Problem is, the bike was already apart when I bought it and the guy also owned a 2nd gen CR125 that he may have been swapping parts with.

The 1st problem is that the pipe is a bit of a pain to line up with the exhaust flange. But when you finally get it on and bolted up, the muffler bolt will be a 0.25-0.5 inches off from the subframe hole. I did make sure the pipe and muffler were properly seated into each other. I ended up having to cut the inner lip of both the muffler and pipe flanges flush for the thing to fit and even then it’s tight.

Then I noticed that the exhaust manifold flange o-ring was missing so I bought one. The problem is that when I got to take the pipe off after a ride day, the thing was impossible to remove. The pipe was stuck to the flange and wouldn’t budge. I had to remove the flange and take it off along with the pipe (with much aggravation and frame gouging). And even then I had to use a vise and pliers to manage to twist the flange off the pipe. This is not normal (is it?). The pipe on my 250 will literally fall off once the bolts are removed.

Should I not use an O-ring? Is it possible that the pipe is either bent or for a different year?

I also read here that the 2002 exhaust flange is desirable because it is D-shaped. Can someone confirm this? Mine is definitely not D shaped, it is perfectly round. My exhaust port is D-shaped though. Could someone have swapped the exhaust flange?

I need suggestions because there’s no way I’m dealing with this hell every time I want to take the damn thing off!

Yes it is D shaped

Well shit. What are the odds that the diameter is not identical either? Shoudl I run it without the Oring (so it's easier to remove)? Maybe that's why there wasn't one in the 1st place.

Just to clarify, the OD is a circle, the ID is d-shaped. There is a rubber o-ring on the outside to seal the pipe.

Just to clarify, the OD is a circle, the ID is d-shaped. There is a rubber o-ring on the outside to seal the pipe.

Yes, I presumed as much. Mine is perfectly circular inside and out. This means that it was swapped. My question is, could this be the cause of all my pipe fitment issues. I guess I'd have to compare dimensions with a proper 2002 manifold to know for sure.

MSRP for the manifold is 40$ and 26$ on partzilla.

Yes, I presumed as much. Mine is perfectly circular inside and out. This means that it was swapped. My question is, could this be the cause of all my pipe fitment issues. I guess I'd have to compare dimensions with a proper 2002 manifold to know for sure.

MSRP for the manifold is 40$ and 26$ on partzilla.

I would bet you could find one used on ebay.

I would bet you could find one used on ebay.

Actually I have yet to see a single picture of this D shaped flange.

I did a bit of reading and it seems like the 2002 model got a redesigned 8mm longer exhaust header. The previouse owner had an 01, is it possible that he swapped them? Because 8mm is exactly the offset I had for the mounting bolts.

I did a bit of reading and it seems like the 2002 model got a redesigned 8mm longer exhaust header. The previouse owner had an 01, is it possible that he swapped them? Because 8mm is exactly the offset I had for the mounting bolts.

This 8mm shortage probably also explain why the bike has a low end so weak that it virtually needs to be launched just to get going.

This 8mm shortage probably also explain why the bike has a low end so weak that it virtually needs to be launched just to get going.

it would affect the low end.  If you found a new exhaust header on partzilla for $26 you probably wouldn't even find a used one for any cheaper. 

it would affect the low end.  If you found a new exhaust header on partzilla for $26 you probably wouldn't even find a used one for any cheaper. 

Yeah I'll be getting a new one.