Sign in to follow this  

Michigan From $16.50 to $36.25!? &%$#@!

The new ORV sticker prices are insane.  This hobby is expensive enough as it is and now it's going to cost over $100 just to get all the bikes legal so I can ride with my kids. 

No thanks to the CCC either, who are supposed to be an organization for the riders.  I'm a former member but will never give them a dime of my cash again for supporting this BS.

I really think this is going to do two things.  1.  Less people will ride.  2.  Many that do won't bother to pay their inflated tax and will ride without a sticker.  I guess the third thing that will most likely happen is more people will run from the DNR, just because they don't have a sticker.

• Like 1

Ya it suck the way that they did it. I don`t ride on the 240P roads ( no head light ) and would not anyway because i`m a trail rider. Most riders that i have seen riding on the 240p roads are not going 25 , more like 50. And yes it a big jump , and i know that it has not been raised in years , but it , could have been raised 50 cents , or a dollar a year for the passed 10 years and no one would have  bi****  about it , well may be not. New trails are nice , but , whats is it doing to your sport ?

Wow, I havent bought one yet this year, but we were planning to trail ride in a few weeks and that kinda blows. haha. I mean I dont have kids to buy one for, so itd just be for ME, but thats a bit of a hike.

It's equivalent to 10 gallons of gas for the year per bike. Not a bad investment to use a maintained trail system when you want where you want. It costs $40 a day per person for a lift ticket to ski. Then your stuck in the lift line for more than half the day.

I play softball during the summer and pay $40 for fourteen games that last an hour. Snowmobile Trail permits are $50 and you can't be on the trails before December 1st or after March 1st. Crossing the Mackinac Bridge with a Dually will cost $10 one way.

My point is that there are lots of "pay to play" activities that are more expensive than this. Enjoy while you can!

• Like 1

If the price increase meant less whooped out sections on the trails, I'd be happy with that. I don't mind whoops from time to time and they can be fun but they can also get old, real fast sometimes. :)

But if I'd have to guess that if there was increased maintenance, it would go towards the wider, easier to maintain, ORV trails and not single tracks. I don't really know though, I'll guess we see in time what comes from this.

Edited by RLTrail
  • Like 1

What you will see is less trails, and less maintenance....

No thanks to the CCC either, who are supposed to be an organization for the riders.  I'm a former member but will never give them a dime of my cash again for supporting this BS.

You said it. The CCC lobbied for a modest increase for a long time, which I supported, and we ended up with this pocket gouge. Add your comment to my critique of the CCC here at this link Good Reasons to Not Join the Cycle Conservation Club

Edited by suppresst

If the price increase meant less whooped out sections on the trails, I'd be happy with that. I don't mind whoops from time to time and they can be fun but they can also get old, real fast sometimes. :)

But if I'd have to guess that if there was increased maintenance, it would go towards the wider, easier to maintain, ORV trails and not single tracks. I don't really know though, I'll guess we see in time what comes from this.

Kind of what I wondered too. I know they get pretty bad, and from what I have always heard...there is "no way to fix the whoops". Also, I know its onnnly $20, but is there a site that shows what its going to? I havent read much about it to be honest other then I heard it may be going up.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

Kind of what I wondered too. I know they get pretty bad, and from what I have always heard...there is "no way to fix the whoops". Also, I know its onnnly $20, but is there a site that shows what its going to? I havent read much about it to be honest other then I heard it may be going up.

I think there is something on the DNR website that summarizes how the increased fees will be used, although it's kind of vague.

Regarding whoops, I remember seeing that someone went through the Lincoln Hills single track last year with some kind of groomer. Although it didn't take the whoops away completely, it did take them down a little and you could definitely feel the difference. I'm not sure what was used but it would be interesting to see. However, in the past 2-3 years that is the only single track I've seen that was "groomed" besides the normal brush cutting. 

Ok , like I said I`m a trail rider !! Is it fare that if I don`t ride my DIRT BIKE on the road I have to by a road sticker first , and than a trail sticker too ? I would gladly pay 20 bucks to ride trails ,or maybe 25 , but why do I have to buy a 10 dollar road sticker too that I can`t use , unless I put a head, and tail light on my bike. Hum side by sides have lights. Politics.

Yea i dont hate the whoops, kinda fun to try and double em and stuff....but, sometimes, and I believe it was Lincoln Hills or Tin Cup....where they went on and on and on and on for  a while...deep rollers that were tough to do much with other then just go up and down and up, lmao. But yea, I think they can take a tractor with a chain drag thing and grade down the softer sand ones. But its pretty tough to knock down harder packed whoops/rollers with small enough equipment you could get back there and do it with. The rollers I spoke of were much harder packed then some sand ones.

Ok , like I said I`m a trail rider !! Is it fare that if I don`t ride my DIRT BIKE on the road I have to by a road sticker first , and than a trail sticker too ? I would gladly pay 20 bucks to ride trails ,or maybe 25 , but why do I have to buy a 10 dollar road sticker too that I can`t use , unless I put a head, and tail light on my bike. Hum side by sides have lights. Politics.

That's not what the chart on the DNR website states.  Here is the link:  https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363_14518_65243-305352--,00.html

It states that anyone riding outside of private property must pay $26.25 for an ORV license.  If you want to ride on state trails then you must spend an additional $10 on a trail permit.  According to the website, buying a ORV License only gets you this now -  "An ORV license ($26.25) is required on eligible county roads, state forest roads in the Upper Peninsula and eligible national forest roads as well as on the frozen surface of public waters."  So, the ORV License in itself that they force you to buy has little actual use for most people here. 

Here is the link to FAQ regarding the price increases: https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363_14518_65243-305565--,00.html

Inflation puts the ORV sticker price at $25 or so for 2014.  So the basically added in inflation changes and tacked on another $11 for more funding.

Edited by kan3

That's not what the chart on the DNR website states. Here is the link: https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363_14518_65243-305352--,00.html

It states that anyone riding outside of private property must pay $26.25 for an ORV license. If you want to ride on state trails then you must spend an additional $10 on a trail permit. According to the website, buying a ORV License only gets you this now - "An ORV license ($26.25) is required on eligible county roads, state forest roads in the Upper Peninsula and eligible national forest roads as well as on the frozen surface of public waters." So, the ORV License in itself that they force you to buy has little actual use for most people here.

Here is the link to FAQ regarding the price increases: https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363_14518_65243-305565--,00.html

Inflation puts the ORV sticker price at $25 or so for 2014. So the basically added in inflation changes and tacked on another $11 for more funding.

My buddies and I were debating if you could get around the 26 dollar tag if your bike was licensed. Our intial thoughts were that you could if all you do is ride state trials and streets only. Any other off road property would require the 26 dollar sticker.

Right 26.25 to use the 240p roads , and 10.00 more to use the trails. For riders that don`t what to ride on 240p roads why do we have to pay 26.25 ? It should have been 26.25 to us the trail , and 10.00 more to run the roads if you want.

Ummmmm  Mich. has a pretty good trail system that works for a diverse group of people. Horse back, quads, UTV, snowmobile , dog sled, hiking, MTB, Although not exactly perfect, nothing ever is. That being said, When you think about it, for $36 the state provides you access to participate in a activity of your choosing and one you enjoy.  Sounds pretty inexpensive to me. I do wish that for the family with young kids a different fee structure had been implemented.  Lets  say after two "adult " stickers a " youth" sticker could be had a reduced price. Or we could just stay home and do nothing and watch T.V. .......for a $100 a month.

• Like 1

I suspect it will do nothing more than put more DNR in the woods to harrass us while we ride.  Especially this year being the first year of the increase I bet everyone they see will be stopped and checked to make sure they have thier sticker.

I see how these officials "Conserve" the woods.  Just look at some sections of the old Gladwin trail system.  They just tore up the ground over the old trails to keep people from riding them.  How the hell is that conservation!?

I wouldn't be complaining if it was a plan to slowly move to this price over say the next ten years, but to more than double the price is just ripping us all off.  We're not the only group to get hit either.  Fisherman and hunters are also seeing large increases this year.

Expect to see a lot more DNR out this year.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention, it was not too long ago there was a surplus in the coffers that the ORV tax goes into.

Edited by JustTroItIn

I wouldn't be complaining if it was a plan to slowly move to this price over say the next ten years, but to more than double the price is just ripping us all off.  We're not the only group to get hit either.

Considering they haven't increased the price of the permit in 18 YEARS, I don't think it's too far out of line. That's almost 2 decades at the same price rate, no they are not ripping you off.

Whether or not the funds will be used in what the majority views as "correct" is yet to be seen. However, that doesn't mean their current fees aren't in line with what they should be. According to their punch list we should see an extra 300-400mi of ORV trail as well as more grooming and trail signage over the next year or two. Guess we'll see if that happens.

Snowmobile Trail Pass is currently $45. They increased it over several years from $25 to the current fee level.

I worked the MSA Booth at the Novi show during those years (including this last year) which is where many folks get their trail pass from.

Know what? People bitched about the increase every year, didn't matter how much the increase was that year. Same level of "outrage".

If you are unhappy with the fee increase, and it's your right to be unhappy about it, this is as good of place as any to vent about it.

(not everyone complains about the increase)

----------

Legislation that made the increase was:

$26.25 for ORV Sticker with all access allowed EXCEPT ORV Trails.

$36.25 for ORV Sticker with all access allowed including ORV Trails.

DNR chose to implement the above with a $10 add-on sticker. This has caused confusion (like the folks thinking the $10 is the trail access, which it isn't or others thinking the $26 was for road access, which it isn't). On the flip side, the $10 "add-on" is cheaper if you got the first sticker thinking you were not going to trail ride and then later on decided you DID want to ride trails - now it's only $10 more instead of having to lay out $36 more.

The real upside for those that ride trails is that this fee increase supports them 100%. Those that never ride any of the Trail System, that have to have an ORV sticker (most people) do not benefit from the ORV fund. There's no $$ for road improvements or other things that would be beneficial for them.

Hopefully we'll get it back to a single sticker next season.

The DNR are a bunch of mismanaged baboons with their heads so far up their collective asses its not even funny. The rate increase was BS because like the snow permit deal, it will keep going up, they will keep finding new and creative uses to get money out of the ORV fund to earmark it for other uses and they will continue to close trails again using money from the ORV fund. To top it all off they will put up a nice sign saying we used your ORV dollars to restore these trails back to nature. All because some laywer in Cadillac wants to walk throught the woods without hearing a single motorized vehicle.

Snowmobile Trail Pass is currently $45. They increased it over several years from $25 to the current fee level.

I worked the MSA Booth at the Novi show during those years (including this last year) which is where many folks get their trail pass from.

Know what? People bitched about the increase every year, didn't matter how much the increase was that year. Same level of "outrage".

You make an excellent point.  I withdraw my earlier statement that I would have been ok with a gradual increase.