Sign in to follow this  

I was teaching my roommate to ride and he totaled my DRZ...

He said he had ridden a dirt bike with a hand clutch once before. I explained the controls, then how to stop and then I had him walk the bike using the friction zone a few time. He was doing very well and managed to take off and ride to the end of the street and stop smoothly. He turned around and went to take off a second time, panicked, whiskey throttled and blasted into my neighbors tree at probably 30 mph. We took him to the hospital and he had a concussion, a broken wrist and a dislocated wrist, probably because of my bark busters. Other than that he's fine.

I haven't told him about the bike yet. There isn't a single scratch on it, not a single broken bit, the forks are even straight, but he somehow managed to rip the top of the frame open a and bend it across a few welds under the triple tree. There's no bending it back without ripping open multiple welds. I don't know what I'm going to do. I could potentially get a frame and transfer everything but I don't want to do that. I might have to part it out. I dropped $1000 on this bike last week and was planning on keeping it for a long time.

lt44bCI.jpg

KDitgQu.jpg

He said he had ridden a dirt bike with a hand clutch once before. I explained the controls, then how to stop and then I had him walk the bike using the friction zone a few time. He was doing very well and managed to take off and ride to the end of the street and stop smoothly. He turned around and went to take off a second time, panicked, whiskey throttled and blasted into my neighbors tree at probably 30 mph. We took him to the hospital and he had a concussion, a broken wrist and a dislocated wrist, probably because of my bark busters. Other than that he's fine.

I haven't told him about the bike yet. There isn't a single scratch on it, not a single broken bit, the forks are even straight, but he somehow managed to rip the top of the frame open a and bend it across a few welds under the triple tree. There's no bending it back without ripping open multiple welds. I don't know what I'm going to do. I could potentially get a frame and transfer everything but I don't want to do that. I might have to part it out. I dropped $1000 on this bike last week and was planning on keeping it for a long time.

Why not? It's not very hard and could be done in an afternoon.

Why not? It's not very hard and could be done in an afternoon.

If he can't afford it that's probably what I'm going to have to do, but I'd rather have cash and get a KTM 690 SMC.

A frame with a clean title and a rear subframe is $1500 anyways, and I don't have a shop to work in or the time to do it during finals week.

This is a tough situation...

I'd like to think your friend will step up and pay you some bucks for the damage, maybe over time if he can't cover it right away...

I only have liability. There's a slim chance he has really good car insurance that covers him on other vehicles.

Sucks you had to learn this lesson the hard way but always always always get full coverage on your bikes. It's stupid cheap. I think I pay around 150 a year for my drz. I'm covered no matter who crashes it, if it's stolen, if my house burns down, ect. I'm only 21 with a big speeding ticket on my record.

At this point a frame swap is gonna be your best option. Make your buddy pay for the frame and you two can swap it in a few hours.

• Like 2

Liability only? I think full coverage is like $14 a month on my WR.

In that situation I'd be looking at a frame swap or possibly a frame repair if it can be straightened and welded back up.

Sucks you had to learn this lesson the hard way but always always always get full coverage on your bikes. It's stupid cheap. I think I pay around 150 a year for my drz. I'm covered no matter who crashes it, if it's stolen, if my house burns down, ect. I'm only 21 with a big speeding ticket on my record.

At this point a frame swap is gonna be your best option. Make your buddy pay for the frame and you two can swap it in a few hours.

Who do you have that only charges $150/year for full coverage?  When I shopped around through all the main providers, the best I could get was $100/year for liability.

Who do you have that only charges $150/year for full coverage? When I shopped around through all the main providers, the best I could get was $100/year for liability.

Progressive. I also get discounts for multipolicy and paying in full. Could be a bit more than 150 I don't remember the exact amount Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

Progressive. I also get discounts for multipolicy and paying in full

I gotta check on that again then.  I use them for my truck and my bike, I pay in full too.  Thanks for the heads up

Bummer.

One, full insurance. Mine is $72 per year, full coverage.

Two, never let anyone else ride your bike.

Hope your buddy is ok and that you get this sorted out. Good luck!

Well lesson learned...

I would talk to my roommate first, explain the situation and see what he says.  Either he's willing to pay for damages or he isn't.  Your best bet is to buy a "clean" frame and swap all the parts over.  You can also just part-out the bike and try an recoup as much money as you can.

when people want to ride my bikes I tell them "You drop it, you bought it." keeps things simple lol

Damn, makes me want to upgrade my insurance policy as I only have the basic of the basic. I pay like 300 something with progressive for a year. I also have a couple of speeding tickets...