Sign in to follow this  

Dragging Clutch

I have a 2007 Kx250f that I have been fighting the clutch on for a couple of months now.  It has just a slight drag on it but only at idle.  I can feel the drag when I'm coming to a stop, clutch in and the engine idling. The bike is still pulling enough to be noticable.  I can still stop and the engine will idle most of the time but stalls occasionally.  If I don't hold the brake, the bike will want to creep forward.  The funny thing is that if I raise the rpms just slightly it releases completely and I can even shift it into neutral but if I let the rpms drop back to idle with it in gear I can feel it dragging again.  No chance of shifting into neutral or even to 2nd with the clutch in at idle, the shift pedal is locked due to the load on the transmission but blip the throttle and it goes right in to neutral.  I've looked at the clutch hub and basket and they have very minimal wear marks.  I've seen much worse on bikes that did not have clutch issues.  I cleaned up the basket with a file to the point that they are almost imperceptable.  The fiber plates all look good with no sign of burning.  I've checked the steels for warpage on a slab of granite and they are nice and flat.  I've measured the springs and they are all in spec.  On this last go round I pulled the linkage and the inner rod looking for wear and found nothing significant.  I've watched the clutch with the cover off and when I pull the lever the preasure plate moves like I think it should and the plates are loose in the stack.  I was thinking a possible mechanical issue but with the plates out the inner hub spins freely with no tendancy to drag the basket.  I use Valvoline 4-stroke, full synthetic, 10w-40 motorcycle oil.  I've been working on bikes for 40+ years so I have a pretty good idea what I am looking at but this one is fighting me pretty hard.  Any ideas?

Did you also check thickness of friction plate thickness with calipers? Service limit is 2.5 mm (0.10")

Did you check the Release Shaft Lever Position? See graphic.

post-381613-0-21003400-1399917634.gif

Release_Shaft_Measurement.gif

Edited by LSHD

1st replace your cable. Then in your clutch there is a bearing needle. On it is a washer that is clipped to it. This should be replaced. They maker thicker ones to lessen clutch drag