Sign in to follow this  

300 bottom end rebuild, what specialty tools do I really need.

Doing a rebuild on my 12 300xc, done plenty of automotive engine work and two stroke top ends, but never needed to tear into the bottom end. I have the engine out and halfway torn apart.

The ktm workshop manuals shows 3 tools that are required.

Flywheel puller, crank bearing separator and a crank installation tool.

After reading countless fourms it seems so guys get away with just heat and and cooling the bearing and crank. In that case the flywheel puller is the only tool required. It dose seem like it's tough to center the crank without the crank install tool tho. Am I missing any other tools?

I don't mind spending the money on the tools, any advise on what tool I need to buy?

RockymountainATV has a great tutorial series on Youtube 

They did an awesome job explaining the process and noting all the proper tools (Crank puller etc..). I purchased the Tusk tools from them and rebuild my 250sx without a single snafu after watching and following their instructions. Now I have the tools for life and the comfort knowing I rebuilt my bottom and top end perfectly.

• Like 1

You will need a fw puller.

The crank will pull right out of the bearing....but the left crank bearing race will be pressed on to the crank journal ...if you heat it good it will come off.

Lay rt. side down on bench build tranny and put left side on......it ant bad.

flywheel puller and there might be a tool to  hold it for retorque

tool to hold clutch hub

torq wrench

if the right side bearing is a interference fit on the crank youll need the crank puller/installer tool and a way to push the crank out like the tusk case splitter

might be able to heat the race but a bearing splitter with puller attached is a better method

motion pro wedge for holding crank gear and clutch basket to remove crank gear

if your a auto mechanic youll be able to see what tools you need as you go along. i dont recomend cutting corners or doing it half ass.

Edited by harryhandshake