Sign in to follow this  

Hole drilled in carb?

Hey guys. Thanks for the advice....

Check out this carb of my sons 2004 RM85...

IMG_0597_zpsa639b1b9.jpg

I just got the bike on trade so going through everything. The float was stuck open it was running lean so I pulled the carb to give it quick rebuild and fix the bent starter valve.

Looking in the throat I noticed a little piece of epoxy on the inside where the throttle slide goes. 

On the outside you can see where the carb was modified or something. There is a really small hole drilled in the epoxy that was used to as a plug?

2014-05-11125127-2_zps5fad1f8c.jpg

I have no idea why somebody would do that so if you know, please let me know!

I am leaning toward a new (ebay used) carb and chuck this one in the trash. $80 to replace it.

Thanks again,

Bear

That carb looks like it was used as a Pinata....!

But if it works..,..

That brass plug should not be drilled...

A Pinata, Haha, I know, Right! 

But its not brass! Its some kind of epoxy or glue. 

The rest of bike is in much better condition. Not sure how the carb would get so abused. New brakes shoes, wheel bearings, chain and sprockets, and a little cleaning and it will be a beast for my 13yr old. He is moving up from a CRF70 so is in for a ride when that 2stroke PB kicks in. I had a KX80 when I was 13 and will be reliving my childhood. I just hope he doesn't flip it like I did and brake his ankle (MX boots mandatory)

Look's like the bike probably wasn't ridden very often if the rest of the bike looks good and the carb is all banged up. I would assume they rode it once or twice then put it up for a few months, went to kick it and thud thud thud nothing.. so they pull the carb and rebuild it.. you do that 5-6 times being inexperienced with removing and re-installing carburetors and that's the outcome.. as for the hole, I have no logical explanation other than incompetency? Makes no sense to me why they would drill a hole other than they assumed there was supposed to be one there... Me personally? I would purchase a new upper body for that carburetor. Last thing you want is to re-epoxy it and the motor to suck the epoxy through and kill the motor mid air on your son, or suck it in and run so rich it burns up the crank and top end.. Three things you just dont rig in my book.. Brakes, steering, and fuel.  

Look's like the bike probably wasn't ridden very often if the rest of the bike looks good and the carb is all banged up. I would assume they rode it once or twice then put it up for a few months, went to kick it and thud thud thud nothing.. so they pull the carb and rebuild it.. you do that 5-6 times being inexperienced with removing and re-installing carburetors and that's the outcome.. as for the hole, I have no logical explanation other than incompetency? Makes no sense to me why they would drill a hole other than they assumed there was supposed to be one there... Me personally? I would purchase a new upper body for that carburetor. Last thing you want is to re-epoxy it and the motor to suck the epoxy through and kill the motor mid air on your son, or suck it in and run so rich it burns up the crank and top end.. Three things you just dont rig in my book.. Brakes, steering, and fuel.  

Thanks Pommier... I found a used carb identical to this one on eBay so ordered it. I needed a new needle valve which is $30+ and another $15 to fix the starter valve so easy to justify the $80 new (used) carb.

The main reason I was asking was primarily to see if I was missing something. I am an engineer and have taken a lot of physics and there is no logical explanation to put a hold in the main body. There is no logic as to why there was A: a hole to epoxy....B: a reason to drill a hole in the epoxy. 

If somebody has any clue, please enlighten me.

Thanks!