Sign in to follow this  

kx 250 wont shift

hello im new to the thumper talk and also new to bikes and learning as i got ell bout 2 months ago got a kx 250 dirt bike well it will shift to 1st 2nd and 3rd but not beyond tht now if you let it idle down like really idle then you can shift other wise that then toy cant shift i cant figure it out im going to get a new clutch cable i had the cluch and basket it out looked fine a lil worn not to bad thaogh can any body help me in to the point of selling this thing.

If you are trying to sell it, just try to convince the buyer it has a custom 3 speed transmission.  If not, you would likely have to get the bottom end fixed which will cost some money... or sell "as is" at a considerably reduced price.

Edited by mch
  • Like 2

Could be either the shift star wheel system needs attention as the shift drum is not turning beyond 3rd gear or the 4th & 5th gear shift fork is broken, bent, whatever and 3rd gear is not sliding back and forth.

so pretty much i just need to sell it right.

Sure. But tell them its broken of course. I'd be super pissed if I bought a broken bike advertised as working.

I would shift through all the gears of course. But someone not as wise as me might not. :kidding:

well of cource im not that mean well i found a guy that would trade me his kx 500 that needs a top end for my POS

Doesn't sound like your KX is a POS, just has a transmission issue that needs to be addressed.  Splitting cases to get to the issue requires about $150 in specialty tools, and you should change main bearings if you have the cases apart.  If you are somewhat mechanically inclined and strip the engine down to the point before you can split the cases, you could take it to a shop (I'd find a smaller shop that doesn't charge dealer rates) that likely wouldn't charge a small fortune to split the case, and figure out the problem.  Put an add on craigslist, ask someone if they have the tools and the know how to help you fix it yourself.  Maybe you find a fellow dirt bike enthusiast that would stop by and help you out.. maybe even for just the cost of a lunch.

A KX500 "that needs a top end" could end up costing the same amount if not more.  If it just needs rings, that's one thing, but if piston broke, etc., you need to fix cylinder, and change main bearings just to be on the safe side (which requires splitting the case).

so pretty much i just need to sell it right.

"Negative Ghost Rider!" I believe you may discover that it is nothing more than a broken or weak spring on the shift shaft claw, shift shaft claw or the spring that maintains tension on the star wheel tension follower. Spring is about $5, a gasket and some oil. It's all on the clutch side and does not require splitting the case. 

mch doesn't own a Kawasaki and his true passion is synchronized ballet swimming here in Las Vegas!

"Negative Ghost Rider!" I believe you may discover that it is nothing more than a broken or weak spring on the shift shaft claw, shift shaft claw or the spring that maintains tension on the star wheel tension follower. Spring is about $5, a gasket and some oil. It's all on the clutch side and does not require splitting the case. 

mch doesn't own a Kawasaki and his true passion is synchronized ballet swimming here in Las Vegas!

In his 1st post he said he had the clutch basket out, so I figure he would have seen any broken or missing parts in that portion of the case related to shifting.  That being said, rmzpegger is correct.. find a service manual and check that all the parts are there and undamaged.  I wouldn't go trading it for a KX500 just yet.

yea ive had the basket out it looks good the clutch look on the bad side might need to replace those thou

It's not a clutch problem, it could be related to the parts related to shifting that are housed in that area.  There is a shift shaft, guide, etc.  It could just be a broken spring in there like rmzpegger said.  I had figured since you taken it down that far, you would have checked the other parts.  What year KX do you have?  Find a Service manual in PDF, check all that stuff you can get to before writing it off.  You need to take off the cover on that whole side to begin with, just not that smaller clutch cover portion if it's a two piece case.

Edited by mch

ok so i went to my nerest dirt bike dealer and he said it souded like i might need to replace bottom end and that the trany might be screwd and tht i might need new clutch or gears he said it could be a 100 dollar job or 700 dollar job he said it depends.