Sign in to follow this  

Broken Kickstarter Pin

Hi,

I'm a 16 year old I have some knowledge of engines and cars but I'm fairly new to bikes.

I saved up my cash and bought an '02 250f. I realized the bike had problems after I bought it, mostly worn out parts and engine wear.

So a while ago I went to kickstart the bike (it was fairly cold) and it went down but didnt come back up and I knew something was wrong.

I removed the kickstarter and found that the pin/axel had been broken into two.

While i was away at school my dad had said he opened up the case to figure it out and that's where the problems begin.

I'm not too sure what happened but according to my father the bike needs a new kickstarter pin, clutch basket, and gasket..

I will provide pictures below, one of the photos shows some parts that had come out of the bike (a spring, a larger spring, and a plastic circle). How much will this cost me in parts, is it easy to fix?

IMG_1954.JPG

IMG_1955.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG

IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG

IMG_1960.JPG

First, look at the manual exploded view of the parts in the kick starter (starter).  This will get you familiar with what should be there and the locations.

You will also have to remove the coolant.  The water pump is in the right side cover and has a drain hole.  remove the 8mm bolt to drain and remove the radiator cap.  Catch all of the coolant, don't want the dog or cat to come lick it up (poison).

Remove the radiator line to the pump, all the bolts, and the rear brake lever.  I think there's a bolt under the rear brake lever.

Then pull the right side cover... 8mm socket.  Remove the water pump cover.

Remove the side cover... you may have to tap on it lightly with a rubber mallat.

Once you get it loose, and it starts coming up, have a box cutter handy and under the gasket, run the blade under the gasket to help it come up.  If you cut it, that's ok just get a new one.  I've saved gaskets and sealed back with gaska sinch, but it could still leak so new is better.

OK, now its off.  Pull the clutch, then the starter... I can't remember exact sequence there so check manual but I know there's a gear behind the clutch.

Now count the pieces and clean out the bottom end and make sure you got all the pieces, match up the shaft parts and see whats missing and find the rest.... find them all.... very important... get all of it.  Pieces flying around in there will do other damage if not removed.  I've seen transmissions trashed, water pump gears trashed, clutch gear trashed... oil pumps trashed.....other damage ....

so find it alll lllll  alll of it.  While there, it might be a good idea to check the oil pump and see if its scored and needs parts replaced.

So now you see what parts are broken, and what you need to ebay......-- I mean order.

Clean up the gasket surfaces and prep for new part install.

The starter has to be "clocked" in the correct position with enough tension on the spring to bring the kickstarter back up, so be patient with this one and don't worry about it if you have to try several times, we all do.  There is a stop for the shaft to rest against.

Then install the clutch. Get the gasket in place.  Then if the parts pile is getting small, you're about ready to install the side cover.

You MUST remove the water pump side cover if you haven't already and turn the impeller so the gear will engage the gear on the crank as you install the side cover.  Otherwise, you will break the water pump gear, and all the work will be wasted when you try to crank the engine.  You understand why right?  Good luck.

Edited by ronbuell

Thanks for the info, I'll do this hopefully today, I'll post pictures as well and let you know how it goes

First, look at the manual exploded view of the parts in the kick starter (starter).  This will get you familiar with what should be there and the locations.

You will also have to remove the coolant.  The water pump is in the right side cover and has a drain hole.  remove the 8mm bolt to drain and remove the radiator cap.  Catch all of the coolant, don't want the dog or cat to come lick it up (poison).

Remove the radiator line to the pump, all the bolts, and the rear brake lever.  I think there's a bolt under the rear brake lever.

Then pull the right side cover... 8mm socket.  Remove the water pump cover.

Remove the side cover... you may have to tap on it lightly with a rubber mallat.

Once you get it loose, and it starts coming up, have a box cutter handy and under the gasket, run the blade under the gasket to help it come up.  If you cut it, that's ok just get a new one.  I've saved gaskets and sealed back with gaska sinch, but it could still leak so new is better.

OK, now its off.  Pull the clutch, then the starter... I can't remember exact sequence there so check manual but I know there's a gear behind the clutch.

Now count the pieces and clean out the bottom end and make sure you got all the pieces, match up the shaft parts and see whats missing and find the rest.... find them all.... very important... get all of it.  Pieces flying around in there will do other damage if not removed.  I've seen transmissions trashed, water pump gears trashed, clutch gear trashed... oil pumps trashed.....other damage ....

so find it alll lllll  alll of it.  While there, it might be a good idea to check the oil pump and see if its scored and needs parts replaced.

So now you see what parts are broken, and what you need to ebay......-- I mean order.

Clean up the gasket surfaces and prep for new part install.

The starter has to be "clocked" in the correct position with enough tension on the spring to bring the kickstarter back up, so be patient with this one and don't worry about it if you have to try several times, we all do.  There is a stop for the shaft to rest against.

Then install the clutch. Get the gasket in place.  Then if the parts pile is getting small, you're about ready to install the side cover.

You MUST remove the water pump side cover if you haven't already and turn the impeller so the gear will engage the gear on the crank as you install the side cover.  Otherwise, you will break the water pump gear, and all the work will be wasted when you try to crank the engine.  You understand why right?  Good luck.

Hi, I did what you said. I took apart the cover and immediately i notice what my father was talking about once i removed the cover to the plates.

It appears the anchor for the clutch springs was broken off when he was trying to remove the centre bolt (on the crankshaft?) off.

This is why it needs a new basket.

I have yet to look at the kickstarter but I know how that assembles after looking at the manual and i know which part i need.

Good thing I didnt try to bum start the bike either because I found the metal piece from the anchor inside the case.

Now I know exactly which parts to buy, which I will do tomorrow. Then I will make sure once I replace my parts to spin the impeller on the pump.

Hopefully I can restore my fluids and be riding pits next week.

Pictures below...

DSC05707.JPG

DSC05708.JPG

DSC05709.JPG

DSC05710.JPG

DSC05710.JPG

DSC05711.JPG

DSC05712.JPG

Good Job.... great pics too.  Classic example of one failure leading to another.

When you get the clutch and side cover off, you need to also take the oil pump apart and check it for scoring and pieces.

I would also replace the oil filter and take the line screen apart, the one on the lines on the frame down tube.  That one is not easy to do, and is usually only done on a complete teardown when engine is out of the frame, so you may opt to not do that one.

I would also blow out all the bolt on oil tubes and passages in the engine.  The reason I'm saying that is some of that is aluminum and can be small and get pumped up into the head where it can do major damage.  So I would also remove the valve cover and at least inspect it.

Other guys, please pile on for advise here cause I'm no expert in this rehlm.

Good luck with it and I'll keep watching.  Post pics.