Sign in to follow this  

04 rmz timing issues

Ok so I have an 04 rmz and I'm using the first mark of the 2 that are close together that I come to on the crank, the cams are 9 and noon on exhaust and noon and 3 on intake, when I'm turning it over slowly the exhaust cam lobes roll over the valves but when the intake lobes come around to the valves they get on top of them and the motor will not turn over any farther, it's like it's locking up, I have to take the timing chain off to get it out of this stuck position. I just got the head back from getting all new valves installed, I'm not a professional just trying to do this myself to save money cause well I don't have a lot lol so any help would be greatly appreciated

It should be set using the second of the two marks that are close to one another i'm asuming you're refering to the marks that are on the flywheel. One of the cams I think the exhaust also has a mark on the back (from the clutch side of the bike) so you can use that to be sure. Download the manual of the bike, you can also use the manual for kawasaki kx250f 04,05 as they're the same bike. The manual has a picture how exactly shoul the cams stand and how many links on the cam chain should be between them. You can't go wrong with the manual.