Sign in to follow this  

Need pic of kickstand, after mine exploded...

Parked the bike at work today, and when I went to put the kickstand down, the kickstand springs exploded.

The online parts manuals are worthless, and I cant tell for sure where it all hooks back up together.  I did manage to get all of the pieces, except the shoulder bolt, so I'll need to get a new one of those.

Can someone shoot a picture of the stock setup on a 2014 500 EXC for me, please???

Thanks!

CADman_KS

PS::  I found another thread with the same exact thing, but the pictures were not in that thread anymore. 

I dont know if KTM has improved their kickstands since 07 but if not just toss it and buy the pro moto billet stand. You will sleep better knowing your bike will not fall over. Stock KTM stands are garbage. 

There it is. It exploded on a 2014???

I know it's dirty.

1399948725468.jpg

1399948739787.jpg

1399948753800.jpg

There it is. It exploded on a 2014???

I know it's dirty.

THANK YOU ti-ben!

Those are the pictures that I was needing. I was pretty sure I knew where it hooked on the top, but I wasn't totally for sure.

Also, it sort of exploded when that shoulder bolt came out. I went to put the kickstand down, and I heard this loud pop, and then the kickstand was just free-wheelin'. I couldn't find the parts until lunch. They were about 15' from the bike! That's how far they went. It didn't surprise that I was able to find the springs, but I was worried about that stainless piece. That thing is not all that big...

CADman_KS

I dont know if KTM has improved their kickstands since 07 but if not just toss it and buy the pro moto billet stand. You will sleep better knowing your bike will not fall over. Stock KTM stands are garbage. 

Since this is the first KTM that I have owned, I don't have any first hand experience with prior garbage kick stands, other than all that I've read about how bad they are.

While I would say that the KTM stand necessarily install confidence in me, mine hasn't let me down yet, as far as falling over.  In this case, I lost the spring and brackets, and that doesn't have as much to do with the weak kickstand design as the bolt backing out...

I did go and look at the PMB stand, and when I do have issues, this is probably the way that I'll go...

CADman_KS

I can't comment on the new model kickstands, but I do know that the RFS era ones were junk.  I know Pro Motos get high reviews.  I just wanted to also recommend the Trail Tech (also branded as MSR) kickstand.  I've bought 3 of them and have paid just about $90 for each.  The PMBs were always about $50 more.

The Trail Techs are also aluminum, work great, install easily, and tuck out of the way.  I've never had a problem with any of them.   Yes, you can stand on the bike with the kickstand down and not hurt anything.  

Judging by the pics above , they don't look like they have improved much. I love this bike but DAMN KTM cant you come up with a better kickstand design? It is not like this is an isolated incident. From what I can see this has been a problem for years. When you spend 10k on a bike you don't expect to have to drop $150 to replace the kickstand.

If you put it back together with locktight you will never have a problem again. The other isues I see with them are the main pivot bolt breaking. This will not happen if you understand that the kickstand is ONLY for supporting the bike not the rider .If you one of the people that use the kickstand to support the bike and rider to kick start, or anything like that It will break.

If you put it back together with locktight you will never have a problem again. The other isues I see with them are the main pivot bolt breaking. This will not happen if you understand that the kickstand is ONLY for supporting the bike not the rider .If you one of the people that use the kickstand to support the bike and rider to kick start, or anything like that It will break.

Loctite is my plan indeed.

As for the main bolt, I'm hoping that's never an issue either, because like you've stated, it will break if you lean on the kickstand while you're on the bike. That is one thing that the internet helped me with BEFORE I bought my KTM. I read all of the horror stories about it breaking, and a lot are related to sitting on the bike at some point or another.

That was something that I did ALL the time on my Dizzer, though. Not on the KTM...

CADman_KS

I never sat on my bike with the kickstand down. It broke anyway.

I never sat on my bike with the kickstand down. It broke anyway.

;)

I'm patient until that day comes. It won't be the first time that the bike has been on the ground, and it won't be the last, either...

CADman_KS