Used 250f or 450f or 250smoker

Hey guys I am in the market for a used dirtbike.  I am 33 years old 5'10" 200lbs and fit, I have some riding experience from Crotch Rockets, I have a Harley Night Train, and been on a few dirt bikes (wr250 and wr450s, bulletproof) lots of experience with those in the :usa: military in mountainous regions, crazy terrain......Anyways I will be doing 80% trail riding 20% track.  Basically I want to know how old is too old for 250f, 450f, and 250 smokers.  I have seen a couple 2006 kx250f's listed anywhere from 2000-2300 one of them appeared to be in immaculate condition.  Also seen one 2007 YZ450F for 2300 two owners an older gentleman that rode with his son and the previous owner was a racer that had his own mechanic, hes getting rid of it because his son is going on to college.  Most other YZ450Fs are 2007-2009 and are running from 2700-3000.  Have also seen a couple of 2001-2005 yz250s running anywhere from 2000-2500.  Terrain I will be riding will be coastal N.C. mostly flat, sand, and dirt trails that get muddy at times.  I also want to hit a couple of tracks out this way that is why im not going the trail bike route.   Not experienced at all with 2smokers but am always open to new things, I do like the cheap maintanence/rebuild of the 2smokers but am wondering if a 2003-2005 is too old.  Also my buddy, previous Army Ranger, said I would hate a two stroke going off of his past experience with them, I guess he wasnt that great hahaha? .....  My limit price wise is 3000.00.  Also am I too big for a 06 kx250f? I do like speed :banana:!!!  Thanks guys any input will be greatly appreciated, have a good one!!!

Edited by Damienreconman

• 2 weeks later...

I've raced and ridden both, and personally I'd say that 2 strokes can be a bit less forgiving for the inexperienced. When you grab the throttle, the pwer is THERE, which can be good but overwhelming. If you're doing mostly trails you can't go wrong with a 4 stroke, they have torque all the way through and you don't need to blast it up hills to climb; but as you said, they can cost a bit more to maintain. As long as you stay on top of maintenance and don't ride on the rev limiter all the time, you should be fine. 

I love two strokes. Love the feel, the instant throttle response, the smell, the sound, the lightness. But I know when to admit I'd be bested by a thumper  ?

Edited by Porkchop Sandwich
  • Like 1

I've raced and ridden both, and personally I'd say that 2 strokes can be a bit less forgiving for the inexperienced. When you grab the throttle, the pwer is THERE, which can be good but overwhelming. If you're doing mostly trails you can't go wrong with a 4 stroke, they have torque all the way through and you don't need to blast it up hills to climb; but as you said, they can cost a bit more to maintain. As long as you stay on top of maintenance and don't ride on the rev limiter all the time, you should be fine. 

I love two strokes. Love the feel, the instant throttle response, the smell, the sound, the lightness. But I know when to admit I'd be bested by a thumper  ?

Thanks for the reply man, I guess my biggest concern is that I am buying used and intend to do a full rebuild this winter regardless of whether it be a two stroke or four stroke.  That being said a 2 stroke rebuild will be much cheaper and something I think I can do myself without to many problems, hopefully.  If I get the thumper it is going to be more intimidating I think when it comes to tearing it down myself, that is why I was leaning towards the two stroke.  There are not too many hills where I ride it will be mostly double sand trails and then time at the track.  I found a 2006 ktm 250sx with roughly 70 hrs listed for about 2500 and have already talked the guy down a couple hundred bucks so I think that I want to go that route.  I think as long as I ride with a little bit of caution I will be good, I know they are pretty explosive and the power comes on like a light switch.  I have ridden a kx 125 back when I was about 13 or so a tiny bit of experience with two strokes not much though.  Ridden everything else on two wheels since then, if that helps or not I guess I will find out haha!

Thanks for the reply man, I guess my biggest concern is that I am buying used and intend to do a full rebuild this winter regardless of whether it be a two stroke or four stroke.  That being said a 2 stroke rebuild will be much cheaper and something I think I can do myself without to many problems, hopefully.  If I get the thumper it is going to be more intimidating I think when it comes to tearing it down myself, that is why I was leaning towards the two stroke.  There are not too many hills where I ride it will be mostly double sand trails and then time at the track.  I found a 2006 ktm 250sx with roughly 70 hrs listed for about 2500 and have already talked the guy down a couple hundred bucks so I think that I want to go that route.  I think as long as I ride with a little bit of caution I will be good, I know they are pretty explosive and the power comes on like a light switch.  I have ridden a kx 125 back when I was about 13 or so a tiny bit of experience with two strokes not much though.  Ridden everything else on two wheels since then, if that helps or not I guess I will find out haha!

Also even though I do want to hit the track sometimes most of my riding will be on open trails and some tight stuff.  Again buying used and have not found any trail bikes in my price range plus I just dont really like the weight of them to be honest at least the wr450.  Wr250s arent heavy to me at all but cant find any used.

Have you thought about a KTM 200XCW? This seems to fit you to a T. It's a 2-stroke, but luggable, like a 4 stroke, and it's also very tune-able. You can adjust the 2-strokes "throttle hit" to where it's not so scary. Easy/cheap to rebuild and easy to maintain. I ride probably 50/50 track/trail and it does fine for me on both. (I like speed, but I'm not too wild anymore, I got a job)

Trouble is, they can be hard to find used. People tend to keep 'em! ?

Edited by RAGEman
  • Like 2

KTM EXCs are another option, they're more geared for trail over MX, so the powerband is a bit broader and the gears pull longer. Stick a flywheel weight in and you'd have a pretty exceptional trail/track 2 stroke. Plus for more casual riding you might find the suspension more agreeable than an sx. 

If you end up getting a 2stroke motocrosser, there are a few "bolt on" mods that can round out the power a bit. Flywheel weight as mentioned, go down a couple of teeth in the rear sprocket, etc 

Have you thought about a KTM 200XCW? This seems to fit you to a T. It's a 2-stroke, but luggable, like a 4 stroke, and it's also very tune-able. You can adjust the 2-strokes "throttle hit" to where it's not so scary. Easy/cheap to rebuild and easy to maintain. I ride probably 50/50 track/trail and it does fine for me on both. (I like speed, but I'm not too wild anymore, I got a job)

Trouble is, they can be hard to find used. People tend to keep 'em! ?

Hey man thanks for your input I just found one for roughly the same price 2006 model as well.  Its listed for 2650.00  Is the KTM 250sx really gonna be that "crazy" and that much of a handful?  If so I may consider going to check this one out.  I dont mind it being fast I like speed and a lot of the trails im gonna be riding are open.

Don't buy a two stroke without riding one, and make sure it is the same size and type you plan to buy. That 250SX is going to be a huge handful on technical trails. You may love it, but there is no way to know until you ride one. Also, riding one on the track or in the open won't tell you what one is like on a steep, wet, rocky, rutted, rooty hill climb or other times when getting the "hit" at just the wrong time sends the bike end over end down the hill, off the jump, or off the trail. Things I've seen happen many a time to 2-stroke rookies. Even after they've told me "I really like this its not so bad." Then it bites them in the ass.

• Like 1

Don't buy a two stroke without riding one, and make sure it is the same size and type you plan to buy. That 250SX is going to be a huge handful on technical trails. You may love it, but there is no way to know until you ride one. Also, riding one on the track or in the open won't tell you what one is like on a steep, wet, rocky, rutted, rooty hill climb or other times when getting the "hit" at just the wrong time sends the bike end over end down the hill, off the jump, or off the trail. Things I've seen happen many a time to 2-stroke rookies. Even after they've told me "I really like this its not so bad." Then it bites them in the ass.

Thanks for the advice man, I have ridden two strokes just not in a while.  The places where I will be doing most of my riding is pretty flat and sandy, although it does get muddy from time to time im out in the coastal NC region not many mountains here.  I think just about anything can bite you in the ass if you underestimate it, but yeah I agree that the hit of a two stroke can get squirrly and is a lot different from a 4 strokes steady power.  Guess its just the money thing swaying me in the 2t direction and the fact that im 200lbs so I dont want something too small.  When I first got the itch to get a dirt bike I was thinkng maybe a used 250f would be the best option but then I started hearing how much they cost to rebuild and what not.  Thanks again man!

Edited by Damienreconman

Hey man thanks for your input I just found one for roughly the same price 2006 model as well.  Its listed for 2650.00  Is the KTM 250sx really gonna be that "crazy" and that much of a handful?  If so I may consider going to check this one out.  I dont mind it being fast I like speed and a lot of the trails im gonna be riding are open.

The 2-stroke hit is pretty intense on the SX models. The EXC/XC/XCW models are more manageable. I can say that I definitely wouldn't put a rookie rider on a 250 2 stroke. 

From your description, an MX 2 stroke would be the furthest thing from what you want. Get a EX/XC/XCW model, or stick with a 4 stroke. Go with a 250F for now, and if you want to upgrade, sell and buy a 450F. 

It's not rocket science!

EDIT: And just so we're clear, I'm sure you can handle the speed of the 2-stroke, it's the whiskey throttle that's a problem. Being a novice rider, you're going to get in situations we're you have to react and correct quickly, otherwise you're up a tree. The 4 Stroke is more forgiving in these instances, where the 2 stroke (SX model) will make you pay. 

Edited by RAGEman
  • Like 1

The 2-stroke hit is pretty intense on the SX models. The EXC/XC/XCW models are more manageable. I can say that I definitely wouldn't put a rookie rider on a 250 2 stroke. 

From your description, an MX 2 stroke would be the furthest thing from what you want. Get a EX/XC/XCW model, or stick with a 4 stroke. Go with a 250F for now, and if you want to upgrade, sell and buy a 450F. 

It's not rocket science!

EDIT: And just so we're clear, I'm sure you can handle the speed of the 2-stroke, it's the whiskey throttle that's a problem. Being a novice rider, you're going to get in situations we're you have to react and correct quickly, otherwise you're up a tree. The 4 Stroke is more forgiving in these instances, where the 2 stroke (SX model) will make you pay.k

Edited by Damienreconman

It's not rocket science!

EDIT: And just so we're clear, I'm sure you can handle the speed of the 2-stroke, it's the whiskey throttle that's a problem. Being a novice rider, you're going to get in situations we're you have to react and correct quickly, otherwise you're up a tree. The 4 Stroke is more forgiving in these instances, where the 2 stroke (SX model) will make you pay.

Ok dude I know its not rocket science just looking for advice and this is getting way off topic, im new to the forum not new to riding.  I have had numerous levels of training with the bikes we get in the mil by pro level riders.  I also have a lot of saddle time in really sketch terrain with these bikes. Not going with a 250f cause I am constantly reving them due to lack of power and im 200lbs, dont feel like going through all those top ends or having it grenade on me then being out 2k for repairs and no bike to ride for the summer.  I understand that two strokes are different, whatever I get I will adapt and get used to it.  The type of terrain im gonna be riding is not that technical its pretty much open and flat sandy trails and then at the track.  I guess my primary post was a little misleading, sorry.  Again, the question I would like help with is HOW OLD IS TOO OLD for these bikes?  Im looking at used YZ250s, KTM 250sx and YZ/KX 450fs years 2004-2008.  If I get the 450f yz or kx my main concern is the thing grenading and the price point of the repair.  What years and models are good, what years and models should I stay away from and how do the 450f hold up with good maintenance?  Say if I got a 2007 yz450f that has never been rebuilt with relatively low hours 40 or so would I be looking at probably rebuilding in the near future and if so how much would that run?  If I do go with the 250sx first thing im gonna do is throw a 10 oz flywheel weight in her and tune the suspension to my weight, I know thats not the end all be all but it will help. Later on may go with a rekluse clutch. Anyway thanks.

Edited by Damienreconman

I think you'd be happy with the 2t in N.C. I'm happy with mine anywhere it may be a handful but that's the best fun. I like riding on the gas tank ?

Ya I think so too!  Where I will be riding is pretty flat and open so either 2t or 450f will be the way to go.

Edited by Damienreconman

Guys, getting off topic here :banghead: .  I dont need any more advice on what to buy as far as my riding ability goes, I know what I can handle, and im not a skirt.  I will get use to what ever I end up getting.  Just wanting advice on how old is too old when it comes to buying these bikes used.  Again looking at a couple of kx450f and yz450f's years 2004-2008 and a 2006 KTM 250sx.  Also seen a couple of nice yz250's 2004-2006.  My price range 2500-3000k.  I guess my primary post was a little misleading because I started to go off on a tangent.   Again all I want to know is basically how old is too old when looking into buying these bikes used. Thanks a bunch guys!  I am gonna make my decision here in a week when I get home, Ill post some pics of whatever I end up going with!

Edited by Damienreconman

KTM EXCs are another option, they're more geared for trail over MX, so the powerband is a bit broader and the gears pull longer. Stick a flywheel weight in and you'd have a pretty exceptional trail/track 2 stroke. Plus for more casual riding you might find the suspension more agreeable than an sx. 

If you end up getting a 2stroke motocrosser, there are a few "bolt on" mods that can round out the power a bit. Flywheel weight as mentioned, go down a couple of teeth in the rear sprocket, etc 

Ya this is getting off topic as originally I was wanting to know how old is to old for these bikes 450s and 250s when buying used.  I think from a price standpoint the 250t all the way.  THE VERY FIRST MOD I was planning to do to the 250sx is add a flywheel weight right off the bat then tune the suspension, if I did go that route.  Thanks for the reply.

Edited by Damienreconman