Sign in to follow this  

3000 mile road trip prep advice

I'm taking my bike from Kodiak, AK to Deadhorse, AK this summer. I need help setting up my mostly stock 230. I'm going to buy a fresh set of tires for a 50/50 asphalt dirt trek. Any recomended tires and tubes or at least ones i should stay away from? Any recommended bags? If you have an awesome overland setup please share some pics as this will be my first trip on a bike. 

A windshield would be a big help. I have done a bit of road travel on dual sports before and I can tell you that after 200 miles your neck will be totally done for the day trying to fight all that wind.

Here's how I previously setup my '06 230f for 50/50.

Pirelli trials tire RR , Kenda 760 Trackmaster 2 (both, DOT). Michelin H/D tubes.

Baja Designs headlight housing using 35w low beam, 55 w high beam & LED rr tail light.

Promoto Billet Rack. With rack you can mount locking, water tight hard cargo box, or-  soft tail bags, and/or - rotopax gas and water containers.

_dsc10723.jpg

And dual mirrors - tall height is better than low. Fixed ones vs. folding ones won't vibrate as much, so your visibility isn't compromised while on pavement.

_dsc10743.jpg

If you feel high speed wobble, then by all means, get the wheels and tires balanced.

Here's how I previously setup my '06 230f for 50/50.

Pirelli trials tire RR , Kenda 760 Trackmaster 2 (both, DOT). Michelin H/D tubes.

Baja Designs headlight housing using 35w low beam, 55 w high beam & LED rr tail light.

Promoto Billet Rack. With rack you can mount locking, water tight hard cargo box, or-  soft tail bags, and/or - rotopax gas and water containers.

_dsc10723.jpg

And dual mirrors - tall height is better than low. Fixed ones vs. folding ones won't vibrate as much, so your visibility isn't compromised while on pavement.

_dsc10743.jpg

If you feel high speed wobble, then by all means, get the wheels and tires balanced.

How long do those trials tires hold up. i was considering getting a set for my trip.