What kind of oil?

it doesnt matter but i would look for the donut and starburst symbol on the quart of oil telling you that what they say on the label is true. go with one that is rated "sn" or "sm" that is the best quality you can get(this is in the top of the donut symbol)

it doesnt matter but i would look for the donut and starburst symbol on the quart of oil telling you that what they say on the label is true. go with one that is rated "sn" or "sm" that is the best quality you can get(this is in the top of the donut symbol)

I disagree about "best quality" in an absolute sense. "SN" is the latest API rating but that doesn't make it the best oils for all applications since the "S" series of the API ratings are focused on car engines, catalytic converter life,  and enhancing fuel mileage.

The API "C" series oils focus on long engine life for compression ignition engines (Diesel), and they don't have the latest API "S" designations.

My motorcycles have lube requirements, such as  wet clutches, gear boxes, and  flat tappet cams, that often seem at odds with those of car engines.

I just put Torco 20W-50 in my tranny because I had clutch noise with synthetic ATF and Rekluse recommends JASO-MA rated oil to reduce clutch noise.  However on a ride today I still have clutch noise, just not as bad.  :banghead: 

• 2 weeks later...