Sign in to follow this  

1981 LOP YZ 250 H?

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help as LOP stuff is pretty rare and unusual here in the UK. 

I bought a 81 YZ250H from a guy in Southern Ireland. The bike has a LOP barrel which was damaged and needed relining which I've just had done it also has a re worked cylinder head, and has a shock reservoir similar to the one I've seen on other pics of LOP bikes on the interweb. 

The head and barrel have a lot of engraving on showing the various dimensions that were tried and then changed. 

The engine number is strange too its 4V3 PEAK J REV S7. Does anyone know where I can find any history or facts about LOP or shed any light on the possible history of this bike? 

This is the bike but with a stock barrel so I can race it while it was being relined! 

019-3_zps68e08d2d.jpg

Cheers

Dan

• Like 2

They were a small performance company made famous by equipping Marty Moates with a trick YZ 465 that beat all the factory bikes in 1980 at the Grand Prix at Carlsbad.https://www.facebook.com/1030caperock/posts/10152203289410909?stream_ref=5  LOP was named after Laurens Offner Performance (not sure if that's how you spell his name?}  Moates went on to co-found No Fear and FMF but sadly commited suicide a few years ago.

There seems to be little info about LOP, I'm pretty sure I have a LOP bike, it has the LOP barrel, modded head, extra inch in the exhaust header and odd engine numbers,  But I could do with some more info before putting it together.  Does anyone know anyone who is running a 250H with a LOP barrel and head?

Dan

Edited by Devondan
  • Like 1

Back in 1980 there were a couple of local NW racers that rode for LOP. My brother Bob wore a LOP jersey for many years, as it was his favorite one at the time.

Every LOP bike I can remember seeing had a Simons fork on it. Marty Moates had forks with magnesium lower sliders on his GP winning bike.

I was racing a 1979 Yamaha YZ400f at the time, and I put a Simons fork on it. LOVED the fork, disliked the stock rear shock...

Here's a photo of a poster I bought back in the early 80's.

CB588F66-7D10-4BBF-B990-6DC23D2BEE77.jpg

and a close-up...

50A09D28-E2C6-4087-A16D-F11052B7D218.jpg

Randy

Thanks Randy, great poster, I'd love one of those LOP jerseys! Sadly if my bike had Simmons forks they are long gone (it came as a box of bits!), but it does have the barrel, head and pipe and strange Engine number - 4V3 PEAK J REV S7.  The barrel gasket is about twice the thickness of stock and it had an RD needle in the carb? I think its going to take some setting up.  

Finally found out some stuff, and actually got to speak to one of the guys who did the porting back in the day, and who worked on my barrel!!!  Thank you internet!  He's a real nice guy and as a result the bike now rips! Just a bit more jetting needed.

http://varnermotorsports.com/about_us.htm