Sign in to follow this  

2012 to 2014 ktm 250sx does it matter?

Im looking into buying a 2012 to 2014 ktm 250sx, it seems as though the 2013 and 14 are practically the same, but for 2012 to 2013 it seems like they made quite a bit of changes 

http://motocrossactionmag.com/news/mxas-2013-ktm-250sx-two-stroke-motocross-test-best-in-class-you-bet

(1) Rear end. The swingarm has been reinforced and enlarged at the axle ends to accept a larger 25mm axle (last year’s axle was 20mm).

(2) Bodywork. It was totally redesigned in 2011, but that didn’t stop KTM from redoing it for 2013 (in an all-orange motif). The most noticeable cosmetic changes are the I-beam front fender, which mounts with two bolts under the bottom triple clamp and two bolts on the front of the clamp, the orange rear fender and a gunmetal gray frame.

(3) Gas cap. Finally, KTM has upgraded to a thread-on cap with a much larger opening. The previous gas cap was the much-hated quarter-turn locking cap.

(4) Triple clamps. The 2013 clamps are 80 grams lighter and provide an improved clamping force on the 48mm WP forks. The triple-clamp pinch bolts have been moved from fore/aft to left/right orientation.

(5) Handlebars. Last year’s very low Renthal 672 bars have been replaced with 12mm taller Renthal 827 bars (the same bend as Renthal’s TwinWall 996 bars).

(6) Wheels. KTM hubs are laced to Excel rims, but the most obvious updates are the black anodized spokes, larger wheel spacers and axle block changes made to accommodate the new 25mm rear axle. KTM owners with 20mm rear-axle wheels can use the old wheels with the 25mm axle by changing to the new wheel spacers and axle blocks.

(7) Radiators. KTM manufactures its own radiators, and for 2013 they used a stronger aluminum alloy to help resist crash damage.

A: There are no mind-blowing changes to the 2013 KTM 250SX engine in terms of overall horsepower production?after all, the 2012 model made just a hair less than 50 horsepower. The porting, combustion chamber, carburetor and exhaust system are all unchanged from 2012. There were, however, two significant changes that will make a difference. 

(1) Reed block. For 2013, the KTM 250SX will get a totally new version of the Moto Tassinari VForce4 reed block. This may seem to be the reed block that the 250SX came with last year, but it isn’t. The newest version of the VForce4 is 5mm thicker, which moves the reed cage farther back for more low and mid-power.

(2) Clutch. Called the DDS (Damped Diaphragm Steel) clutch, the 2013 250SX will get the Belleville washer, single-spring DDS clutch from the 450SXF. This unique clutch does not use coil springs, but instead has one large cupped washer (Belleville) that provides equal tension across the face of the pressure plate. The DDS clutch uses a steel basket with the primary gear machined into the basket. It weighs 250 grams less than the 2012 clutch and allows the engine width to be 5.5mm narrower. Of course, it is hydraulic.

do these changes really make a difference though? More power, reliability or anything? For 2012 to 2014 they have the linkage which is why I'm looking into them and not 2011 and earlier models. 

Short answer, no it doesn't matter. Find the best bike for the best deal and don't be concerned with the year or the upgrades other than using the older models to your advantage in terms of pricing. I have a 2011 with PDS and a buddy has a 2014 with linkage and they are both nearly identical and both awesome. Other than that somewhat significant upgrade, everything else since it pretty irrelevant. The DDS clutch is pretty cool, though has no real impact for the average rider.

On a really insignificant note, the new style gas caps suck contrary to MXA's opinion. The 1/4 turn caps are awesome and I hope they come back with them soon. Someone just needs to teach MXA how to use them.

Good luck on your search and enjoy whatever year you choose

Edited by tk2stroke
  • Like 1

Short answer, no it doesn't matter. Find the best bike for the best deal and don't be concerned with the year or the upgrades other than using the older models to your advantage in terms of pricing. I have a 2011 with PDS and a buddy has a 2014 with linkage and they are both nearly identical and both awesome. Other than that somewhat significant upgrade, everything else since it pretty irrelevant. The DDS clutch is pretty cool, though has no real impact for the average rider.

On a really insignificant note, the new style gas caps suck contrary to MXA's opinion. The 1/4 turn caps we'er awesome and I hope they come back with them soon. Someone just needs to teach MXA how to use them.

Good luck on your search and enjoy whatever year you choose

Thanks man I appreciate it! Ya I wasnt sure if the 2013 was that much better, I plan to add a lowering link, revalve the suspension and add a fww right when i buy it. So now Im going to start looking into 2012's as well!

ill stick with a normal style screw on cap. sure it adds .04 sec to your refuel time but hell i got nothing but time anyways

I have a 13 and 14. 

I can tell no difference until I added a PC Works pipe on the 14.

It kept it frisky in the higher rpm range.

Can you tell the difference with identical set ups riding them back-to-back?  Probably.  Will it affect you race results?  Not a chance.

IMO 2013 are the best of the bunch. they got good updates from 2012, but didnt take the step back like the 14's did (sacrificing top end for bottom end, smoother power/less snap)

Edited by mynewcr250
  • Like 1

I spent a long time on this as well and I finely gave up trying to find a new 14 and found a sweet deal on a 13... I am more than happy and so is my wallet I was able to spend money on upgrades and paid cash for the bike.

The changes are so minor and the average rider can't tell a difference, you can read about the difference but I bet you money if I put you on both bikes you couldn't tell me the difference... no offense neither can I and that is why I didn't bother

Good luck in your hunt