Sign in to follow this  

WR250F 2009 having electrical problem?

So my WR250F stopped running.  the main headlight turned a odd color then it burned out and the bike died. i tried kicking it over but nothing.  electric start worked though. i left it alone and i ran it for about 30 seconds and i went inside and came back out the next morning to see what the deal was and it still wouldn't kick but now the electric start ceased to work.  all i would get was a click.  i switched out for a fully charged battery and still just a click.  i checked all the main electronics and all of them are working according to the tests.  the main display turns on also but it cuts out when i press the starter button.  i get no spark when kicking the bike over.  i started replacing parts and i ended up replacing the stator and later on the main computer for the bike.  still nothing.  same symtoms. i eventually replaced the stator, stupidly, because a bike mechanic recomended it to me but still nothing.  no spark, won't turn over, no working lights except for the head up display.  what on earth is going on?  im about to just sell it for parts.  i have no shops near by so i would just take it to a shop but thats out of the question so any ideas before i finally sell or give this thing away?

Electrical like this can be some of the most difficult.

Sounds like its in the starter circuit.  There are 2 fuses under the seat near the starter solonoid, check those and see if they are burned out. 

The headlight will not come on unless the engine is running.  I'd pull the headlight bulb and make sure its not burned out.  If so, then replace it, and check the wiring to it for shorts.

Beyond that is a guess.... shop time may be in your future.

You say the headlight turned an odd color, was it brighter or dimmer than normal?  Voltage going too high will burn out the bulb.  Sounds like the problem could be with the voltage regulator or a short in wiring somewhere.  Check the bulb with a multimeter or hook up to a battery.  You can test the starter operation by shorting the 2 big terminals on the starter relay under the seat.  You'll want to pull the tank so you can follow the wiring harness, looking for a scraped section.  I've had to peel the sheath off a harness to find chaffed and shorted wires.  Check the fuses also.  

• Like 1

I think the my first rectifier regulator i had in the bike....the one that had the wire uplugged from it....i think it fried my whole system. ill try replacing the wiring harness and then start looking for bad wires throughout the old one.  then ill test the rest of the bikes electrical components for continuity and replace anything thats not running with specification.  luckily if one part isn't working it will come with wire in case the wire is fried also.  im pretty much half way done with replacing the entire electrical system on the bike i might as well finish the other half considering most of the problems im seeing are coming from parts ive yet to repair or replace.  i can't think of anything else to do seeing as three mechanics have glanced at the bike and refused to repair it due to how strenuous they foresaw the repairs to be. i mean after jumping the relay there is literally nothing that should be stopping the starter from going except bad wires or a bad starter and there is nothing that should be stopping the spark except for a bad spark assembly or bad wires.  on this bike to replace one wire you have to replace them all so ill start there.....replace all the wires.  see where that gets me and if that doesn't work ill start replacing the rest of the components. 

does anybody think that going about the problem in this way would be a waste of time in money or should i maybe sit down, trace my steps, and go about it a little slower?  im hitting seven months here without a dirt bike so i might be getting impatient.  

It sounds like you've taken the shotgun approach as apposed to the rifle approach.  The bike could have multiple problems.  You say you've jumped the relay and the starter still doesn't turn?  That would have to be the battery, the cables or their connections or the starter.  You have a manual, right?  There's a wiring diagram in there, also a diagram of just the starter circuit.  There's 2 relays that make it all work and the clutch has to be pulled or the bike be in neutral.  I think you need to pull apart every electrical connection and make sure they all are OK.  Look for water or corrosion.  

If you weren't so far away I would say bring it over.