Sign in to follow this  

Successful rebuild

Dry install as in, you didn't use any oil in the cylinder right? Thats great compression! 

Good to know, can you be a little more specific (for other's sake, I'm thinking of doing a top end here soon)?

Did you follow every spec measurement, or did you just set the ring end gap, torque specs and let 'er rip? Did you let it warm up or just bring the revs up right from start up to get a good seal? I baby'd my last top end and I want to go with a more aggressive route the next time I throw a piston and rings in.

Thanks

Dry install as in, you didn't use any oil in the cylinder right? Thats great compression!

Correct no oil on cyl or piston just on the needle bearing.

Good to know, can you be a little more specific (for other's sake, I'm thinking of doing a top end here soon)?

Did you follow every spec measurement, or did you just set the ring end gap, torque specs and let 'er rip? Did you let it warm up or just bring the revs up right from start up to get a good seal? I baby'd my last top end and I want to go with a more aggressive route the next time I throw a piston and rings in.

Thanks

everyone's probably gonna nag at me for doing this but a friend that's an engine builder has always ball honed his plated cylinders with awesome results without ruining the cylinder, I had him hone mine and it turned out great. For measurements I didn't go crazy but made sure everything was in spec threw the ring on it torqued everything. Started it up let it idle for as long as it took me to put helmet goggles and gloves on then got the revs up and went for a easy ride going thru the gears not holding it wide open then went out for a rip and rode it like I stole it.
  • Like 1

Started it up let it idle for as long as it took me to put helmet goggles and gloves on then got the revs up and went for a easy ride going thru the gears not holding it wide open then went out for a rip and rode it like I stole it.

If it is put together correctly, I wouldn't foresee an issue. I did the same style break in with mine and two others I've rebuild with no complaints and the bikes run great. 

• Like 1