Sign in to follow this  

Runaway throttle

It's a lean condition from somewhere, possibly the airscrew. Why do you have it more than 3 turns out? With the correct Pilot jet, the airscrew should be between 1 to 2 1/2 turns out maximum.

It's a lean condition from somewhere, possibly the airscrew. Why do you have it more than 3 turns out? With the correct Pilot jet, the airscrew should be between 1 to 2 1/2 turns out maximum.

I'm having problems setting the float level in the carb. All I can find is a measurement for fuel level but I don't have a fuel level guage. I know how to set it via float height but yamaha only gives specs for fuel level. Was trying to figure out if the float level it's at now is within an acceptable adjustment range. I mean, if I made it lean out via the air screw then I can work with it, move past the float level (which I would be very happy to do) and adjust the jets if need be. 

Most carbs operate under the principle of the float level being, well, level!!

The float "tangs" should be parallel with the gasket surface, when the carb is inverted, and the needle is lightly touching the seat and not depressing the plunger.

• Like 1

Most carbs operate under the principle of the float level being, well, level!!

The float "tangs" should be parallel with the gasket surface, when the carb is inverted, and the needle is lightly touching the seat and not depressing the plunger.

That's pretty much where I have it. It's one of those triangular bottom floats so it's a little hard to tell. I'm just going to assume I've leaned it out too much on the airscrew, go back to 3 turns out and see how it runs. I mean, if it leaned out being 5 turns out then I've probably got the float level pretty close to dialed in. 

Thanks guys