Sign in to follow this  

Dirtbike hauler for car!

Has anyone ever tried or purchased one of those dirtbike carriers that you attach to the hitch on your car. I don't have a truck and I can't see myself going out and buying a truck just for a dirtbike. So with that being said I'm looking into getting a two hitch and a dirt carrier like this one ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399932950.939501.jpg

But I do not have a SUV like shown in the picture I have a focus ST hatchback ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399933034.898526.jpg

Yz125

Kx250f

I have a truck but I know people that use those hitch haulers and they seem to work very well. Easier than loading one up in the back of a truck too.

Edited by KTMforlife
  • Like 1

I don't use the hitch like you are asking about, but I do run a Subaru Outback and run trailer.  What I like about this is that the trailer is very useful for other things besides dirt bikes.

• Like 2

I wish I could afford a trailer but I'm on a budget and really leaning towards a hauler like that it's around 180$ and the hitch attachment for the car is about 150$ if the bike falls on my car I think I would lose all hope in life to say the least

i was looking at one of those bike carriers to put my kids bike on to take him places to ride but i recently got one for myself so i'll have to upgrade to a trailer.

as long as you strap it down right, it should not fall into your car unless you hit something...and even then, the strap should hold up.

i have an outback as well so i wont have a problem handling a trailer like Dune Bum and i dont think you would either but if money is an issue for you as well...the bike carrier is a good idea.

You cannot use a carrier like that on that car. You cannot get a hitch with a high enough tounge weight rating to support that type of carrier. Your best bet is to get a hitch and a small trailer, unless of course you like being a hazard to everyone else on the road

• Like 1

I believe those require either a stage 2 or above hitch. Most hitches on cars are only stage 1's.

Everything comes down to Tongue weight - you would be able to tow a trailer because although the trailer weights more than that carrier, the tongue weight is far less. With those carriers, the entire bike + cradle is pure tongue weight.

• Like 1

they all require a 2'in hitch

I'd imagine the suspension won't be happy in that car but hell give it a go!!!

No way I would use a hitch carrier on a small front drive auto. I have one on a Tahoe and it affects the steering on it.  For about the same money or even less with a coupon you can get a 4/8 trailer from Harbor Freight. It even folds for easy storage. Very versatile and can be setup to haul three bikes if need be.

No way I would use a hitch carrier on a small front drive auto. I have one on a Tahoe and it affects the steering on it.  For about the same money or even less with a coupon you can get a 4/8 trailer from Harbor Freight. It even folds for easy storage. Very versatile and can be setup to haul three bikes if need be.

+1.  All that weight on the hitch with an SUV makes the front wheels light and sometimes over bumps my ABS kicks in when I am lightly braking (4400 lb FJ Cruiser).  You dont want that with much lighter front wheel drive vehicle.  plus it will probably drop the back 2-3 inches and it doesnt look like you have the clearance for that. 

Buy a used 3 rail trailer or buy a harbor freight trailer.  You are being penny wise and pound foolish. 

they all require a 2'in hitch

I'd imagine the suspension won't be happy in that car but hell give it a go!!!

False hitch type dirt bike carriers require a class III hitch(500lbs tongue weight capacity) or better...you cannot get a class III on a compact car, they don't exsist. With that being said I have a class III on my explorer and I used a hitch carrier all the time. I cannot tell any difference in driving.

I have one of those carriers. My truck is a welding truck. So I have a welding machine in the back. I bought mine at pep boys a few years ago. It was 100 bucks. It was a bolt up. So I put it together and it was flimsy. So I welded it together. It's made several trips to California. Wyoming. Arizona. And Colorado. Holding up great. I even throw it on the back of my wife's Yukon. It's better than pulling a trailer for one bike

Edited by Jdrost72

Those hitch carriers are great.....but maybe not on your little car.

As stated, the whole weigh of the bike, and the carrier, are cantalevered WAY behind your back axle.  You'd be dragging for sure.

We have one for the ManVan.  It is barley enough vehical for it.  The ChevyVenture mini van is front wheel drive.  But it is a bigger vehical, with a 2" hitch.  It works...but aint right.  I'm tempted to buy a 3-rail trainler off my buddy.  I'll sell you my hitch carrier if you want it.  Like I said, works great=no wheels, bearings, electrical hook up, liscence, stickers, lights...just load and go.  The tie-down straps hold the bike securley, NP.

But for such a small car...a small trailer would indeed be better.  Small 1.25" hitch and 30pounds toungue weight would be AOK for it.

Coo

Got one of those on my explorer, works great but it's a 2" receiver. That hatch looks lowered. Any terrain will make you look like a spaniel with worms; draggin ace all over the place. I've got an 03 civic with the 1.7L and it pulls a trailer with two 450 thumpers on highway no prob. Slow up steep hills though. I vote trailer, probably can only get a 1-1/4" receiver for that.

• Like 1

Got one of those on my explorer, works great but it's a 2" receiver. That hatch looks lowered. Any terrain will make you look like a spaniel with worms; draggin ace all over the place. I've got an 03 civic with the 1.7L and it pulls a trailer with two 450 thumpers on highway no prob. Slow up steep hills though. I vote trailer, probably can only get a 1-1/4" receiver for that.

That's because you have "Vtec".................... yo.  Lucky guy.

I have a hitch carrier on my Trailblazer (2" receiver) and have hauled bikes 6,000 miles over the past 3 years, no problems.

But I do add straps from each end of the carrier to the roof rack to reduce side to side rocking.

IMO small 1" hitch receivers on each side of the car would be better than the single 2" in the center.