Sign in to follow this  

RM 125, help. silver oil & spewing oil

I bought a 2002 RM 125 last fall for my son.  It seemed to start fine when I bought it but things have gone downhill, I’d sure like some help:

·         When I bought it I was told that it had a new piston & ring, plus the cylinder was re-nikasil’d

·         Raw oil (black spooge) started dripping from the exhaust pipe the day I bought it.

·         The oil spooge got worse.

·         I sent the expansion chamber and pipe away to get rebuilt (fix a big dent in the pipe and re-pack the canister), while it was there I had them burn all of the oil out of the pipe.

·         This spring when I put it all back together, I tried to start it, after 25 kicks I put a fresh plug in, 10 kicks later it started but would not idle without blipping the throttle.

·         I was totally shocked to see oil dripping out of the engine (were the pipe goes into the head).

·         Here is the strange part:  I changed the transmission oil and silver oil came out!  It looks as if the previous owner put half a can of anti-seize in the oil.  Has anybody ever heard of this?

I use I-pone full synthetic pre-mix oil (32:1) and Motul transmission oil.  I drained the float bowl for the winter and put fresh gas in this spring.

When it is running I can see white smoke coming out of the crank case vent.  Where is the oil spooge coming from?  Is it sucking transmission oil?  Is that why the previous owner put anti-seize in the oil, to thicken it up?

Any thoughts?  How much do you think it will cost to fix this?

i sure hope yer joking about the "previous owner put half a can of anti-seize in the oil".  OBviously that would be no good if they actually did that, but regardless it sounds like it's time for an engine rebuild.  Metallic oil=grinding parts=no bueno

No, I wish i was joking, it actually looks like anti-seize, but I did not see any metal fillings.

How much would it cost to rebuild if I sent it to a shop?

The transmission is seperate as I am sure you are aware. Some times if the builder has not replaced the main bearing seals it can leak and cause an air leak and transmission oil leaking back. Your white smoke sounds like water in the combustion chamber. Are you losing coolant......Is it Dropping down? If you have repacked the muffler but are still experiencing sponging then it sounds like it is too rich. Check your air fuel screw and adjust to factory settings. Check the needle clip position and also check your jetting. With regards to the oil I would recommend installing a magnet drain bung. Replace the oil and run it and check the situation. Certainly sounds like running rich and fuel mix ratio not quite on song.    

I had the same problem with my trans oil but it was because of a broken clutch. I would pull out the clutch and examine it. It is easy if you have a small torque wrench. As for the spooge oil it sou D's like you need a rebuild and your jetting may be too rich

Edited by suzukicrf

I have the skill set to adjust the a/f screw and change the position of the needle in the carb but I am not sure that I can tackle a rebuild or replace the cranks seals (which I believe can only be done during a rebuild?).  Also, when you say the clutch was broken, you mean a plate was cracked?

If i send it to a shop how many hours are they going to charge me to do a rebuild?  Then I have to figure out if coolant is getting into the chamber (can this be determined by pressurizing the cooling system)?

I have an 02 RM 125 as well and I just rebuilt the whole thing. The crankcase hose that oil is coming out of, are you talking about the power valve breather? If so it is normal for smoke to come out of that while the bike is running. Secondly, the transmission oil. It's not abnormal to see thinner and strange metallic looking oil and that's because it's just transmission oil and it's a wet clutch. The aluminum clutch plates as they wear the dust get's into the oil and gives it that metallic look. For the spooge issue you'll have to pull your carb. Open it up and see what size jets you have and the clip position of your needle. My 02 runs very rich with the stock jets and spooges. There are some very good 2 stroke jetting guides that I would follow. As far as the right side crank seal leaking. It is suggested frequently here but I'd put my money that yours is fine and it's just a jetting issue. When you have that seal go bad it's pretty obvious. For example this video shows a bad right side crank seal 

ok, thanks for the advice.  I am going to start wit the carb and re-jet it back to stock parameters and I am going to take a look at the clutch.