Sign in to follow this  

Run an engine vertically?

First post here guys, I need some help! Im building a project, and its powered by a Yamaha ttr90 4 stroke engine. It would be easiest to mount if it was vertical, but my concern is that it would not get proper oil flow if I did it that way, and I'd blow it up. Does anyone know if I could run it vertically instead of horizontally, which I know is how it was designed to run.

I'd set it the same way it was in the bike , just to be sure that the oil flows. What's your project that involves the ttr motor??

Neat! Well I wouldn't take that risk. Don't want to ruin your project by blowing up the heart of it!

Also, does anyone know what this is? The part with the light blue wire.

It looks like the neutral swith, drops the rpm on the motor when it's shifted into neutral

Unless its for kids, I'd scrap the ttr motor and go a 125 2t. I know it doesn't answer your question, just my opinion.

Isn't that wire the motors ground wire? Connect right to the metal

Yz125

Kx250f

• Like 1

either a neutral indicator or ground wire from the motor to frame

actually it looks like an oil temp sensor but im pretty sure ttr's dont have that.  But in my expert opinion, it is definitely probably something.  :lol:

Edited by KTMforlife
  • Like 1

Unless its for kids, I'd scrap the ttr motor and go a 125 2t. I know it doesn't answer your question, just my opinion.

500  :rolleyes:

To run that engine vertically you would have to completely redesign the oiling system. Your pickup would need to be relocated, but also the drain/return ports would need moved. More time consuming and expensive that you could imagine.

In other words get a 2 stroke. It doesn't care how you mount it.

To run that engine vertically you would have to completely redesign the oiling system. Your pickup would need to be relocated, but also the drain/return ports would need moved. More time consuming and expensive that you could imagine.

In other words get a 2 stroke. It doesn't care how you mount it.

Faster too