Sign in to follow this  

KTM 150sx 2012 won't start after stalling

So my bike was put away all season during the winter I finally took it out and got it ready to ride, new plug, fresh gas, fresh oil, clean air filter etc. but I ran into a problem. I believed my bike was running great because I only had to kick it over once and it started like nothing, but I was half way through my ride and I accidentally stalled the bike. And after that it wouldn't kick back over for me so I had to push start it. I've noticed this happening ever time I stalled, I would have to let it sit for 10-15 minutes after stalling to kick back over and get going almost like it has to charge back up before it can go. Any help?

Usually when you stall a bike suddenly, the engine will be flooded.  On most 4-strokes, you hold the hot start lever, which gives it air without adding fuel, to un-flood it.  Most 2-strokes, you simply hold the throttle anywhere from 1/4 throttle to wide open, dependent on how flooded the engine is. 

I'm just wondering, are you holding the throttle twisted far enough, and long enough while kicking it over.  Sometimes when you stall at high rpm's, there can be quite a bit of hydrocarbons left in the cylinder/combustion chamber.  It can take quite a bit of kicking to remove the excess fuel for it to start.  Or you can let it sit for a while and it will start too.

Maybe you have some pump gas with too much ethanol.  In cars, it can cause some hot start problems. 

Yes I usually twist the throttle enough to get it started my first kick, but once it stalls in the middle of my ride I find myself sitting in the middle of a trail either kicking for 5 minutes getting no where or I let it sit for 10 minutes. It never starts immediately, It would be such a convenience for me to fix the problem. But yes maybe there is excess fuel that needs to get out, I will give that a try

My 1st thought,because you have to let it sit to cool off, is the jetting is too rich on the pilot side. Plus it started real easy while cold. Could be as easy as turning the air screw out a half turn or so. That's where I would start.

• Like 1